Normal Drying up time

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by crazygoatlady, Jun 28, 2010.

1. crazygoatlady

crazygoatlady New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Spring City, TN
    I have a Myotonic Goat that kidded 4/4/10 & her twins were sold when they were about 6 weeks 5/24/10. I milked her for about 7 days afterward because she just filled up & I hoped to relieve some pressure.. and it did. However, now her udder appears to be detached. It hangs just like a water balloon & you can see the weight of the milk is in her teat area only. Should I just let nature take it's course or get a vet involved? She had twins last year but her udder stayed up tight nicely afterward.

It doesn't look problematic when she's just standing but as soon as she moves, her udder moves side to side & hits her knees.

I tried strapping her udder to her body using VetWrap but was worried about causing different issues.. if I put it on loose enough, the udder would slip out.. if I put it tight enough to hold everything in & up, I was afraid it would cut her blood circulation.

Caprine Supply offers a harness type but it doesn't indicate that it is for detached udders.

Any advice would be appreciated - there's nothing online about this!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Normal...she's drying up. Since it's been a month since you last milked her, you can go ahead and empty her and not have her produce more. Also, with some does...the more freshenings they have the looser the udder attachments get.

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Is it normal for the teats to do that??? I also have a doe that had a single.... one side of her udder is completely dried and back to normal while the other side looks like the longer teat shown above. Her kid was weaned the end of March! Will it ever go back to normal? I've been so bummed because she is one of my does that I was hoping to get a PGCH on. :(

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The longer teat is the one that was most used...so it will take a bit longer to totally dry up. With Christine's doe, even having twins nursing it was likely that they both were nursing one side more than the other...which leads to the lopsided look.
    Aesthetically it's not pleasing but I would imagine that since Fainters are not a Dairy goat , the udder wouldn't be judged for anything except the function of feeding kids, so Jess, I really see no problem with your doe getting that PGCH.

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    nope the udder is 15 points on a myotonic.... so though it's not everything its definitely not worth bringing 'em in the ring if it looks terrible. :)
    Christine.... I haven't put anything on my girl and it does pretty much blow in the breeze at this point but she doesn't seem to notice... so as long as your doe is not in any obvious discomfort I wouldn't worry about wrapping it. :)

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow...didn't know that Jess. It truly does make a difference with the "dry" udder as far as the number of freshenings and number of kids...a doe that has twinned 2 years in a row then has a single, the udder will still "fill" for twins, it's usually the production of the doe that will determine her post baby udder, she'll never look the way she did before she freshened but it may take a bit longer for her to look normal due to the stretching of the udder.

7. crazygoatlady

crazygoatlady New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Spring City, TN
    Tonight I took your advice & gave her a final milking. I had to "pinch" off the little stopper & got about 1/4 cup of milk. Although I put it in the pig slop, it smelled normal, just a little more watery than what I get from my dairy goat. I guess it's the end of her "girly" figure!

Thanks for everyone's comments... this forum is a great help!