Normal??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RowdyKidz, Aug 18, 2009.

1. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    My 2 baby goats (Lyric and Melody) are 3 weeks old now! :)

They just got disbudded tonight...and all is well.

But, they started nibbling on hay when they were about 1 and 1/2 weeks old. And since Kookie (mom) is such a pig, we just put grain in our creep feeder last week. And now (at 3 weeks) they are eating grain REALLY well! :shocked:

I'm still going to wait till they are 8 weeks to wean...but my question is...

Is it normal for them to be eating grain so well at this age? Mine usually start eating just a little later.

But this is pretty cool! :dance: :wahoo:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yes this is normal -- mine start eating grain at 1 week old and were nibbling on hay from day 1!

It doesnt mean they can get enough nutrition from the grain and hay but it helps them to grow better and to develop faster.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    mine start nibbling on hay at 2-3 days and imitating mom eating grain at a week or so..normal

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree....very normal.....some start sooner and some later ..to where you have to put it in there mouths... so they can acquire a taste for it....yours are doing very well :wink: :greengrin:

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    VERY normal! Just means that you have some healthy babies that will grow into little pudge butts very fast!

6. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks everyone!

Most of my kids are born during the school year, so I don't get to spend much time with them. :( But I do keep them spoiled. :) And most of the moms will let the babies eat her food. I guess I never really noticed... :shrug:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your very welcome.. :wink: ...sounds like you have really healthy goats...great job....... :thumbup: :greengrin: