The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided I can't just settle on one breed of goat I just love them all I started with lamancha then went to cross breeds of saanen, tog, Nubian , and alpine with a pygmy and a Nigerian/ togg buck then added a herd of pygmys and a Nigerian dwarf. Then because I just love them bought a few ND dwarfs and tomorrow a boer doe!! So excited

·
Super Moderator
58,074 Posts
Whatever makes you happy. You definitely want to love what you have out there since animals need a lot of care.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
:laugh:

Right now I have Nigerian Dwarfs and Pygmy's, next year I would like to get a Boer for showing, and a pair of Oberhasli's or Toggs for breeding/showing/milking. But first I need to expand my Nigerian and Pygmy herd. So, we'll see :)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I should talk but it sounds like someone needs to pull back on the reins a little , lolol Whoa Nelly !

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
me too. I have 2 mix grade does, I've got angoras coming and a grade/angora mix. I still want a Lamancha (badly)....and maybe a Saanen. I figure after a couple of breeding years, I might be able to settle on a breed and get one or two bucks? I'm firmly waffling between Alpine, Oberhasli, and Lamancha....and keeping my Angoras.

It seems way easier to have ONE breed because then you can get one buck and keep a closed herd.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
There are so many lovely breeds out there , I want them all , lol
I can relate to this thread very well ;)
I have settled (temporarily) on Nubians , Nigerians and soon LaManchas.
I havehe Nubian Buck , Nigerian on the way , and I will be shopping for a LaMancha Buck probably next year . I love Toggs , Alpine, Saanens, and many more ;). But I want to enjoy my present herd and be able to give them the best life I can. Can't go to overboard , right ?
Plus ,I've been cutoff from acquiring more , lol

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'm not a one breed woman either, and not an "only pure breed" woman. I have the following:

Boer X Alpine doe
LaMancha X Boer/Alpine doe
American Toggenburg doe
Mini Nubian doe (and her brand new mini nubian doeling who is a keeper, I think)
Purebred Nubian doe
American Toggenburg X Boer/Nubian/Kiko doe (for sale)

LaMancha X Boer/Oberhasli wether
American Nubian wether
Boer X Nubian/kiko buck
Mini Nubian buck
Mini Nubian buckling (for sale)

I LOVE the variety of sizes, colours and body/ear type. I have multiple goals for my herd, and having a variety of breeds and mixes helps me reach those goals AND gives me joy when i look out and see that crazy mishmash of goats.

·
2,203 Posts
I work with American Saanen, and American Alpine. I do have one doe that is a 50/50 registered Saanen x Alpine, and I have another doe that is 50/50 registered sable x Saanen.

Whatever works for you. Eventually we'll breed up the sable Saanen line and get her offspring purebred. Our goal is to have three. Saanen, Alpine, and a cross of the two. Love the results from controlled crossing.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
I think I've discovered I'm a mini gal. As Karen said, you've got to really love what you've got because heck do these things take a lot of work! :laugh: But I love them to bits, I'm excited to have a breed I can be passionate about.

If I was to expand, I think next I would look at Golden Guernseys (sp?).

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love each and every one of my kids!!! I think each breed has there certain traits that make them irritable! I might some day settle with 1 or 2 breeds but right now I am happy with the several different breeds. Yes they take a lot of time but I would rather be trim hooves, cleaning there barn and loving them then just about anything else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts