Not a Happy Goat... Sick

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by luvs2ride1979, Jul 28, 2010.

1. luvs2ride1979

luvs2ride1979 New Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Roland, Arkansas
    Hello. I was given a few Apline goats last year, two of which had kids, so we're up to five. One of my mommas (has weaned the kid) has been sick lately. She's had diarrhea for over two weeks now, is off her feed, and is very thin.

I first treated for coccidiosis using Di-Methoox Concentrated Solution 12.5% once a day, then twice a day. That didn't really help. I then dewormed with Ivermec Plus cattle dewormer, 2.5 ccs injected sub-q (she's 100 lbs or so) and started on oxytetracycline (3 ccs daily) plus CD Antitoxin (10 ccs twice daily). During all of this I was trying to get a hold of my vet, and also using Probios and electrolytes.

Vet FINALLY came out, took a stool sample and found a very large infestation of strongyles and still come coccidia levels above "normal". So, I've been giving 3.1 ccs of fenbendazole daily for 5 days (today's the 5th day), plus this pill that my vet gave me that is Sulfamethazine plus something else (tri-something?) once a day, still with electrolytes and priobios.

My vet also gave me Endozorb for the diarreah, which does help, but not a whole lot. I'm out of it and she's back to very watery stool. She is a bit more perky, is eating better, and is walking around our pasture better. She doesn't have a fever and is not showing any signs of dehydration. I brought some Bahai hay home from our horse barn and she's really liking that.

Our goats are in a good sized pasture, 0.7 acres for 5 of them, with good grass, clippings from various trees and bushes (checked against the toxic plant list!), and some "grain." We were giving Dumor's Goat Sweet feed mixed with chopped alfalfa hay (bagged) and some "goat minerals." I have since switched to just plain whole oats and alfalfa pellets. They don't get much feed, just enough for them to eat for about 10 minutes (eating and playing musical bowels, lol) twice a day. It's about 1.5-2 qts of "hard feed" (oats/alfalfa pellets) mixed with 1.5 qts of chopped alfalfa hay, split between all five of them each deeding.

Oh, and I also got some of the herbal imunity mix from fiascofarm.com and have given her that yesterday and today. The rest of the goats are also getting dewormed with the fenbedazole for 5 days and I'll give them the Ivormec Plus in a week or two.

So, any thoughts? I'm going to call the vet again tomorrow if I dont see stool improvement by the morning.

2. luvs2ride1979

luvs2ride1979 New Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Roland, Arkansas
    I forgot to add. We've been giving her 1.5 tbsp of Pepto liquid 3-4 times a day since we ran out of endosorb, and yesterday I bought some Bentonite liquid and have been giving her that twice a day as well.

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Sounds like you covered everything BUT the dosages are off.... most dewormers given orally are at a rate of 1cc per 25 lbs of body weight and the timing would be once every 10 days for 30 days. The days are very specific and must be given 10 days apart to prevent reinfestation from hatching eggs that were missed from the first dosage.

Have you given her goatade or nutridrench? I'd reccommend that and some probios to help get her rumen back on track. Oatmeal and cinnamon is GREAT for clearing up scours as well. ... plus all my goats love the stuff so they gobble it right up!

Hope your girl gets better soon!!! :)

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I agree with dosages, they're higher for goats.

I do 1 cc per 33lbs, or 25lbs works well too.
    1 dose, then again 10 days later

good luck with your goats!!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Other than the vets findings...there is something else.. that may be prolonging the scouring....... .....If there is alot of lush green grass and stuff....to eat...in the pasture... the doe with the scours ....may be over eating it.... her system isn't use to it ..and is getting to much....when the goats system is off (scouring)....they shouldn't be fed grain....until they improve and stop scouring....and when you reintroduce it do it slowly....with any type of feed..

The alfalfa also may be to hot for her.... I would give her some less hot hay with it... such as oat hay...or equivalent.. to help stop the scours... You have to pull her from the browse ...as she is getting to much of something..... and just put her on it.... for a couple of hours a day.... for a while and gradually increase the time out.......we need to get the scours under control....and stopping most of these things or cutting back may help.... Keep up the pepto... :hug:

6. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Are there lots of dandalions in the pasture? They are a diarrhetic (sp?).

7. luvs2ride1979

luvs2ride1979 New Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Roland, Arkansas
    I think my vet was going off of 1 cc per 33 lbs, or so, hence the 3.1 cc's of fenbendazole. He advised me to give 5 days in a row because a single dose is not effective here in Arkansas against strongyles, which is what she has a lot of. Our strongyles are showing resistance to Ivermectin as well. I'll definitely follow up with another round in 10 days, and again 10 days after that.

How to you give the cinnamon and oatmeal? Make a paste using regular dry oatmeal? They already get whole oats in their diet. How much cinnamon?

Thanks Pam. I brought home Bahai hay, which is a grass hay similar to Bermuda. She seems to like it and will leave browsing to eat it. I've been keeping it in front of her as much as possible. I've had her in the backyard the last few days, which has less to browse on and the grass it cut short. I'll keep her back here for a while longer then. They don't get much alfalfa hay, just over 1 lb split between all 5 of them twice daily, plus about 1 to 1.5 lbs of alfalfa pellets split between all five goats twice daily as well, and Annabelle has definitely been eating less than her fair share.

Dreamchaser: no, there are no dandelions. There was a lot of bitterweed earlier in the summer, but we mowed it down and it didn't come back much. There's nothing in the pasture that I can find that would cause or worsen diarrhea.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your so welcome.... any improvement.. at all today? :hug:

9. luvs2ride1979

luvs2ride1979 New Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Roland, Arkansas
    She's still "runny," but is walking around better, joining th eherd more, drinkning and eating more, etc. She just seems to be feeling better. So far today I've given her two doses of Pepto, gatorade, a dose of the immunity herbal stuff, and an ounce of "power punch" nutrient drench. I'll give her two more doses of pepto, another herbal dose, and some probios later tonight. She's done with the deworming and pills. Monday she gets another dose of the Ivermec Plus injectable dewormer (10 days after the last one).

10. glenolam

glenolam New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Canterbury, CT
    Have you separated her from the other goats? It seems strange to me that she'd be the only one with this infestation, too - have you dewormed your other goats just in case?

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow still runny.... :chin: She is a stubborn one..... it does seem odd ...she is the only one with the issue..... :hug:

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How much pepto is she getting? The dose for an adult goat is 30cc....also, if she's eating try the dry oatmeal, it really works in binding poop. Not instant though...the dollar stores around here carry quick oats for a buck, I give mine 1/4 cup when they need it so your girl being bigger I'd go with 1/2 to 3/4 cup.

Another wormer that has worked when others have failed is Praziquantel.....there is a horse wormer called Equimax as well as one called Zimectrin that has both the Prazi and the Ivermectin.

13. luvs2ride1979

luvs2ride1979 New Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Roland, Arkansas
    She's starting to firm up, but it's still runny. I have dewormed the other goats and treated for coccidia in the two kids (born last Jan and Feb).

I was giving her 1.5 tbsp of pepto, which is about 20 CCs. I guess I'll give her more! I also wasn't giving oatmeal, just whole oats. I'll try giving her some oatmeal. Just dry or make a paste? How much cinnamon should I put in it?

She's definitely feeling better, but she's still resting more and when she does sleep, she lays out all the way with her head on the ground. The poor girl is VERY thin too, ribs showing and really sucked in on her sides. Now her jaw seems swollen, on the sides and underneath. It swollen mid-way, not close to her throat. My husband says he read where that may be a sign of anemia? She seems to chew more carefully right now. Any ideas?

14. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
  15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

We dose Safeguard (fenbendazole) at 1cc per 10 lbs. That is the recommended dose in my area.

Have you looked at her eyelids? If they are white, you may want to consider giving her some red cell.

16. luvs2ride1979

luvs2ride1979 New Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Roland, Arkansas
    Yeah, I think she has bottle jaw... We got iron pills and B12 pills today and she's looking better already! I'm going to give her a second dose (10-day) of injectable Ivermec Plus tomorrow, along with the rest of the herd.

She is looking a bit better though; her ribs are showing as much and she looks more alert.