Not a hint of bag on her..............

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by enjoytheride, Dec 19, 2007.

1. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I think that Dottie is getting very close- she was last bred on 7/23/07 so tomorrow is her due date. Today I noticed that her rear legs straightened- she has started loosening her ligaments about a week ago although they are not totally gone yet. I wonder about how long after the leg straightens that the birth occurs?
    I don't have any colostrum although I have the colostrum substitute- No goat people near so no access to any either.
    Her place is ready - hope it's not tonight as the power's out and there's a storm going on.
    I get so nervous at this time..................

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh boy that is exciting and nerve wracking at the same time

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I know I obsess too much as I only have the two girls.

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Nothing yet- I think that I hate this lime worse than anything- the time when they are really primed to go but then they back off. Do I take that trip into town now or wait...............
    Well, I put a calendar in the shed with the date circled in red- maybve she'll take the hint.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    She will be fine. I bet she will get it in just in time. I had a doe that was a opps breed and I just new she would not have enough to nurse that baby, but I swear it cam in as she was delivering.

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I hope your doe does like Lori's!!! I would go ahead and go into town but make it a quick trip meaning get what you need and get home.

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I did make the trip- stopped by the dog vet and got Phoeb"s meds (thyroid and anti-biotics) and got som oxytocin for Dot and some colostrum (supposedly the real thing with dried colostrum.) just in case.
    No babies yet- cold tonight. I tried to check to see if there was any sign of an udder but none- the little snot butted me several times as I tried to check- I managed to pin her neck with my leg against the door jam and, darn it, checked anyway. No sign of one.
    I hope that she does like Lori's too. Keep your finger's crossed.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Keep us posted and let us know when she kids.

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Let us know!! I had a doe go to 154 with no bag till 153, just about killed me waiting for her to kid :D

10. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    crossing my fingers too.

11. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Wishing you and your girl the best of luck!!!! :D

12. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Dottie has not eaten much all day- early this afternoon she started making little grunts and grinding her teeth but there has been no sign of a contraction that I can see- no discharge. Although she grunts quietly, she just lays there- she will get up if I mess with her,
    Her ligaments are not totally gone but something is happening for sure- she is the piggiest of eaters and for her not to eat...................
    Does something need doing?

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well good luck. I bet you have Christmas Eve babies.

14. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    I think Christmas Eve babies too!! :) Yay! She sounds really close.
    But if she is still not eating tomorrow at lunch time/early afternoon you may want to think about going in and checking her, just to make sure there is not a problem going on.

15. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    just watch her close to make sure she is doing okay. is she eating hay or grain at all? She sounds like she is very close. My doe didn't lose her plug until about 15 minutes before she kidded

16. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    No- no eating- I guess what has me so worried (beside my usual case of nerves) is that she seems to be starting labor without any bag and no discharge and no obvious contractions and no complete loosening of her ligaments- she is simply distressed and anxious far in excess of not much going on.

17. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Hoping all goes well for your doe.

18. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Good luck and don't pull all your hair out :wink:

19. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I checked her every hour last night- she was grunting and teeth grinding until 2 am when it all stopped. But still not eating- I took her temperature this morning (why didn't I think about that yesterday- assumption I guess) and her temp was 105.2. The vets office was closed today so I took her to another town and met a vet at the clinic there. By the time I got her there her temp was 103.5! I thought I must have misread the thermometer but when I got home I check it and it still said 105 (old mercury tyoe-vet said it's best.)
    The vet did an ultrasound on her- he said there are no babies in there- she's just fat. But if you look at her pooch it clearly shows preggo- I don't know a lot but that was so clear. He said she probably had a psuedopregnancy and gave me som Dex to trigger labor tomorrow if her temperature stays down. He said either something will come out or not............
    The psuedopregnancy would help explain the no bag and no contractions- the vet thought she might have had a problem with enterotoxemia which is what caused her pain last night and not eating and temperature and gave her a ruman helping med by bolus- which she seriously did not like. But at least she started eating some at the vets- for tonight I put out two kinds of hay for her to choose and will take her temp tommorrow.
    I'm confused ..........................

20. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. I'll be praying that she's ok.