The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that Dottie is getting very close- she was last bred on 7/23/07 so tomorrow is her due date. Today I noticed that her rear legs straightened- she has started loosening her ligaments about a week ago although they are not totally gone yet. I wonder about how long after the leg straightens that the birth occurs?
I don't have any colostrum although I have the colostrum substitute- No goat people near so no access to any either.
Her place is ready - hope it's not tonight as the power's out and there's a storm going on.
I get so nervous at this time..................

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing yet- I think that I hate this lime worse than anything- the time when they are really primed to go but then they back off. Do I take that trip into town now or wait...............
Well, I put a calendar in the shed with the date circled in red- maybve she'll take the hint.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
She will be fine. I bet she will get it in just in time. I had a doe that was a opps breed and I just new she would not have enough to nurse that baby, but I swear it cam in as she was delivering.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did make the trip- stopped by the dog vet and got Phoeb"s meds (thyroid and anti-biotics) and got som oxytocin for Dot and some colostrum (supposedly the real thing with dried colostrum.) just in case.
No babies yet- cold tonight. I tried to check to see if there was any sign of an udder but none- the little snot butted me several times as I tried to check- I managed to pin her neck with my leg against the door jam and, darn it, checked anyway. No sign of one.
I hope that she does like Lori's too. Keep your finger's crossed.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Keep us posted and let us know when she kids.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dottie has not eaten much all day- early this afternoon she started making little grunts and grinding her teeth but there has been no sign of a contraction that I can see- no discharge. Although she grunts quietly, she just lays there- she will get up if I mess with her,
Her ligaments are not totally gone but something is happening for sure- she is the piggiest of eaters and for her not to eat...................
Does something need doing?

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Well good luck. I bet you have Christmas Eve babies.

·
Breaking Dawn Ranch
2,120 Posts
just watch her close to make sure she is doing okay. is she eating hay or grain at all? She sounds like she is very close. My doe didn't lose her plug until about 15 minutes before she kidded

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No- no eating- I guess what has me so worried (beside my usual case of nerves) is that she seems to be starting labor without any bag and no discharge and no obvious contractions and no complete loosening of her ligaments- she is simply distressed and anxious far in excess of not much going on.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I checked her every hour last night- she was grunting and teeth grinding until 2 am when it all stopped. But still not eating- I took her temperature this morning (why didn't I think about that yesterday- assumption I guess) and her temp was 105.2. The vets office was closed today so I took her to another town and met a vet at the clinic there. By the time I got her there her temp was 103.5! I thought I must have misread the thermometer but when I got home I check it and it still said 105 (old mercury tyoe-vet said it's best.)
The vet did an ultrasound on her- he said there are no babies in there- she's just fat. But if you look at her pooch it clearly shows preggo- I don't know a lot but that was so clear. He said she probably had a psuedopregnancy and gave me som Dex to trigger labor tomorrow if her temperature stays down. He said either something will come out or not............
The psuedopregnancy would help explain the no bag and no contractions- the vet thought she might have had a problem with enterotoxemia which is what caused her pain last night and not eating and temperature and gave her a ruman helping med by bolus- which she seriously did not like. But at least she started eating some at the vets- for tonight I put out two kinds of hay for her to choose and will take her temp tommorrow.
I'm confused ..........................

1 - 20 of 31 Posts