Not a mini, but concerns them

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by JenM, Jan 2, 2020.

1. JenM

JenM New Member

Aug 19, 2019
    NC
    I have 5 Nigerians and my brother-in-law has come into possession of a free Boer buckling. (Mom died, family couldn't bottle feed, BIL is taking over). He has bonded with this goat (Bart) and Bart has imprinted on my BIL. He is mommy. Very cute. I asked the vet if we neuter Bart, can he live with my Nigerians. Answer was yes. Problem is, she doesn't recommend castration until 6 months old. Will the buck be aggressive toward my Nigerians in the meantime? Should I ask this on a Boer thread? Thanks in advance!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    We try to wait as long as we can to wether. A buck apron may help. House of nacchus makes excellent ones. But if he is riding and tormenting the does just band him and be done with it. Three months is the earliest we do it here. And when you do band.... keep his boy bits covered so he cannot penetrate and impregnate a doe before the swimmers die off.

3. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    NEWBIE question! How old is a buck when he can impregnate? I have a 4 month old that has started chasing tail but only randomly.......

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Nigerians and Pygmys can by the time they're 2 months old if they're extending. Larger breeds later but not a lot. Boys should be separated by 7-8 weeks as a general rule.

Robinsonfarm and toth boer goats like this.
  5. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
  6. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    My Boer kiko babies can breed at 6 weeks. I use anti mating aprons by Bachuus. Yes they come in Xtra small. My 6 week old myotonic is proof 20190821_192947.jpg

MadHouse likes this.
  7. JenM

JenM New Member

Aug 19, 2019
    NC
    I just separated my buckling, Oscar, from the ladies because I think one of them is in heat. (Discharge, tail flapping, etc). He's only 3 months old, but I know I was risking it! Definitely heard that you should separate at 2 months, but he would've been all alone! We just borrowed a wether to keep him company for a while!

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.