The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 Nigerians and my brother-in-law has come into possession of a free Boer buckling. (Mom died, family couldn't bottle feed, BIL is taking over). He has bonded with this goat (Bart) and Bart has imprinted on my BIL. He is mommy. Very cute. I asked the vet if we neuter Bart, can he live with my Nigerians. Answer was yes. Problem is, she doesn't recommend castration until 6 months old. Will the buck be aggressive toward my Nigerians in the meantime? Should I ask this on a Boer thread? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I have 5 Nigerians and my brother-in-law has come into possession of a free Boer buckling. (Mom died, family couldn't bottle feed, BIL is taking over). He has bonded with this goat (Bart) and Bart has imprinted on my BIL. He is mommy. Very cute. I asked the vet if we neuter Bart, can he live with my Nigerians. Answer was yes. Problem is, she doesn't recommend castration until 6 months old. Will the buck be aggressive toward my Nigerians in the meantime? Should I ask this on a Boer thread? Thanks in advance!
We try to wait as long as we can to wether. A buck apron may help. House of nacchus makes excellent ones. But if he is riding and tormenting the does just band him and be done with it. Three months is the earliest we do it here. And when you do band.... keep his boy bits covered so he cannot penetrate and impregnate a doe before the swimmers die off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NEWBIE question! How old is a buck when he can impregnate? I have a 4 month old that has started chasing tail but only randomly.......
I just separated my buckling, Oscar, from the ladies because I think one of them is in heat. (Discharge, tail flapping, etc). He's only 3 months old, but I know I was risking it! Definitely heard that you should separate at 2 months, but he would've been all alone! We just borrowed a wether to keep him company for a while!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts