Not a Wether Anymore

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by rocky_ridge_goats, Nov 18, 2010.

1. rocky_ridge_goats

rocky_ridge_goats New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Last week, my Togg, Cricket, had a kidney stones. (Terrible thing. I hate it.) While my dad was checking his belly out, he discovered the worst. Cricket is no longer a wether. He's a buck. :help: It would explain a lot about him- he stinks like a buck, acts like a heady buck, etc. He (Cricket) went absolutely crazy yesterday and drug his bottom teeth up my leg, and created a five-inch long scratch on my left leg. (really painful) The vet says he will have to have surgery to get the other teste removed, and I don't know how much it costs, care after, or anything. Do anoy of you know how much it costs to get this done? Are there any special care methods needed once the surgery is over?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wish I could help... but I never had this procedure done... I always banded them with success....hope someone comes along that can help.... :hug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a friend of mine had to have her wether surgically done after a banding gone wrong and it wasnt that costly like 60-80.00 (yah I know its still costly but better then in the hundreds).

I would ask your vet what he would charge. its really up to the individual vet what they are going to charge for it.

4. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Wow.. tough luck :( I have no idea of the costs... keep in mind, each area is different..

5. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    The good thing about doing it now is no flies. :greengrin: You would just keep the area clean. I got a pain shot for Romeo when I had him done so he would be able to relax and be comfortable. Jelly beans helped too. :laugh: That was the only thing he would eat for a couple of days. He is back to being a hog at feeding time again so it didn't bother him for long.

Gina

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    buck or not that behavior is pretty agressive.. i doubt denutting him will change his demenaor much

7. Sorry to hear about your troubles?? I had a similar issue last year. It was my first year banding and one of the little buckling testes hadnt droped yet or it poped back up inside? Anyhow, I could clearly see it later, and I took him to the vet cause I had already had him sold to a pet home. They removed it in a VERY simple proceedure, it cost me 30.00 total. Not much to care for after just watch and make sure it doesn't get infected or anything.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    The first goat we bought was a "wether", but was not one. Same thing happened, she banded him she only got one testicle. That was 9 years ago, and it was like $60.00, but they are all so different.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Steph is a member here...she had a buckling with just one descended testicle...he retained the other, I'm pretty sure the surgery to "find" the one inside as well as take the one hanging was over $100