The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

· Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my saanen Cloud had babies in April (I think it was april!)

Anyway, she put her all into feeding her babies. I chose to not milk her as her condition was poor.

Cloud has never really recovered from milking her kids.

Her body condition I would rate as emaciated. I've done fecals, and tested for cocci.

She is negative (a few worms here or there but not a large load and she's been treated).

Her eye lids are still pale. Her gums area pale. I would consider her emaciated. I am putting off taking her to the vet as we only really have dog and cat vets, so I'm better off doing most stuff myself.

I can draw blood, do you suggest any blood tests?

One thing that is worrying me, is her front knees are very knobby and creaky.

She has free forage, I have tried a variety of things over the last few months. Grain, extra alfalfa, corn, beet pulp, dairy cow grain, etc etc.

She has access to high protein weeds (partrige pea and other legumes) as well as grass, guava, albezia tree (high protein), etc etc.

Now I KNOW dairy goats are slimmer then other types of goats. I will get a photo tomorrow. She is probably 40 pounds under weight. Seriously.

I do not know what to do at this point.

What blood tests should I run that I can send off myself? My vet charges $120 for a CAE test. Yeah, seriously. I asked when my buckling had a cyst in his neck.

My goats are pretty healthy except for the occasional hoof rot. I've ordered the hoof rot vaccine and am almost done building the foot bath thing suggested.

I give vitamens, loose minerals, grain, alfalfa, orchard grass, beet pulp, etc etc.

I'm getting so frustrated! I feel like no matter what I do or how many hours per day I spend caring for goats, it's one thing after another!

Again, I'll get a photo tomorrow. So skinny! I can about wrap my fingers around her spine. :( She eats and poops normal too. Just fyi. lol

· Super Moderator
36,709 Posts
I would send off and test for CaE and johnes. Worm load is the number one cause of anemia, I would recheck her fecal three times, a week apart since worms shed eggs in cycles, I would then choose a wormer like ivomec plus or valbazen if needed, red cell 6 cc per 100# daily for a week then once. A week until color returns. Vit. B complex plus or b12 daily. Lots if graze and green leaves, less fruit. Also adding flax and wheat germ to coconut oil making a paste and feed 2 tablespoons once or twice a day will add healthy fat and nice condition to coat. Might also add calf manna to her daily feed..

· Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This?

http://www.amazon.com/REPLAMIN-GEL-...d=1384876750&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=replenamin

I will see if our local feed store has it, if not I can order it.

I, again, have done fecals. I have done fecals on the same schedule that the eggs hatch. lol She does not have a worm problem. I wish she did, as I could just worm her and fix the problem!

Biotracking will do the CAE test, but where do I send off one for Jhones? And is the CAE test from biotracking accurate? She came originally before I bought her from a local lady, from the big dairy here.

I can do replenamin plus with all the other vitamins listed above and with the redcell?

Oh edited to add, she gets LOTS of green forage daily. There is no way to have her eat less fruit though. She lives in a 3 acre guava orchard. It is not possible to put her somewhere else unless I rehome her.

· Super Moderator
65,341 Posts
If you can get it in the Plus form, it would be better. http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/details/Replamin-Gel-and-Replamin-Gel-Plus/498-200.html

Buy the gun to go with it. Makes it easy to administer. The cartridge gun that they have on the PBS site above is the one you want. You can have it on 5cc so you can just keep the stuff in the big tube and administer 5cc. My goats love the stuff and I can just hold it out and they will just eat it. Yes you can give it on top of other things.

If you are feeding her grain, you could even put some safflower oil on her grain for added fat.

· Super Moderator
16,979 Posts
When did she wean her kids??? It seems once they get down it takes forever to get back to weight. Have you tried calf manna?? I have a doe that is very thin right now and am trying to get weight on her. I've been feeding some 16% pro. 3% fat feed with a handfull of calf manna and a hand full of calf manna. I could see a difference a week later. but if she weaned the kids not that long ago she might be already putting weight on slowly but you don't see it because you see her every day.

· Super Moderator
36,709 Posts
Good on the worms...it would be a easy fix if it were but she just wants to keep you on your toes lol.

Biotracking has a good reputation ..Ive uesed them and have been happy with them however they only do pregnancy and CAE, you my as well send to one lab that test for all..Waddl, here is there web sight
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/

1,846 Posts
Hi Dayna,
I have had luck with adding oil to sunflower oil to feed. Also I had an interesting conversation with a big nigerian breeder in New England, and found she top dresses her feed with powdered probiotics everytime she feeds her does, and she said it improved her animals. Maybe that would help her make the most of her feed.

· Super Moderator
16,979 Posts
Ohh poor baby is thin. Is she drinking well?? She just looks a bit sucked up like not drinking well. Also minerals do you have them out free choice and do you copper bolus?? Her tail hair hardly has any hair on it that I can notice. I do agree with the probiotics as well. Since your already sending blood in I would just gather up a list of feeds that you think will help her out and start there till you know she's clear or not....I still swear by the calf manna FYI lol ;)

· Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Calf manna molds here really fast no matter how I keep it. I cannot put it in freezer as it would be too expensive to freeze it instead of meat. We're talking molds within days.

She drinks fine. Free choice minerals. I do copper bolus. She actually has plenty hair on her tail. She has a crooked tail so it doesn't show up very well. Her coat is finally in good condition. A couple months ago she lost almost her whole coat and looked bald.

· Registered
3,790 Posts
Yes, she looks poor. But as a person who has had Saanens, I'm feeling your pain, not condemning you. I would draw a blood into a red top tube and send it to WADDL. Do the CAE, Johne's and CL. I get frustrated with the forms from WSU, but do the best you can. You might put a light weight cold pack in with the blood. Doing the math on the forms messes with me too. I think it's $10 just to start and then you add in the other tests. It will still be way cheaper than your vet quoted. I would want to rule out those diseases.

· Registered
959 Posts
I'm right there with you Dayna...I've got a buck doing the same thing...worm free, johness free etc. I'm testing for chromic enterotoxemia as there is another form of the CD that can damages the small intestine. The test is expensive...and you can just treat for that one with a round of antoxin....then you revaccinate with the CD/T vaccine as if the animal never had it (giving a booster)...some goats are allergic to the antitoxin so its best to o if you have epinephrine on hand. Any vet should have that. I've been doing the calf manna with no results...if that makes you feel better. Fir meadow GI soother is helping a little...we're not losing weight anymore....I recommend it. We are doing the replamin plus too...but so far not seeing much difference. multimin shot from a vet may be faster... I'll keep you posted if I find anything that helps if you keep me posted! Thanks

· Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, going to the WADDL site.

One big question, if she has one of these diseases what's the protocol? PTS? I'm not getting anymore goats. I might have some more be born here, but as far as goats go, I'm done. They are so difficult to care for here! And so smart and wonderful. It tears my heart to see bad hooves, poor condition, etc. Most of my goats are in GREAT condition. I'll attach a photo of Nacho Junior (female) in a minute so you can see its not the quality of the feed....

So after reading all this.

Daily:
Red Cell (I think she weighs about 150#) so 9cc's a day for 7 days then once a week? I've given red cell before but never that much or for that long.
B Complex daily
Safflower OIL, (can I add that to some BOSS, Barley and pumpkin seed instead of wheat germ and flax. I have no real access to that other than health food store)

I've been wondering about peanut butter. She LOVES peanut butter. I could use that to give her the B Complex every day right? Is that goat safe? I've used it to give stuff before but never daily.

What about molasses water? I did that after she had kids, should I do that again to get her to drink MORE?

Now if I mixed BOSS, Barley, Pumpkin seed together how much of each to how much daily should I give her? Like half cup of each twice a day? I don't usually measure but I just got a day calendar and I'll start freaking measuring or weighing everything everyday I give her.

Also she loves alfalfa cubes (better than the pellets and better than the hay) how many pounds of that per day should she be getting? As of right now, I toss a bunch on the ground and so I don't know how much she's getting.

I can pull her into the back yard on a leash or something once or twice daily to give her the extra stuff.

· Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just looked up the WADDL testing information and it looks like they do a trio test of the exact tests I need run for $22.05 Plus the $10 testing fee?

Caprine/Ovine Biosecurity Screen:
-Small Ruminant Lentivirus (CAE/OPP) (ELISA)
-CL (SHI)
-Johne's (ELISA)

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.