Not Again!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Itchysmom, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Remember Mimi and her broken leg? well, she is all better, but now one of the other bottle feed doelings has a broken leg! Owner thinks that some how they are getting thier foot stuck in the fence somewhere and pulling so hard they break the leg. Thetwo breaks are right above the ankle on a front leg. Does this sound right? I mean they have lota of room to play so why would they get a leg stuck in a fence? I think it's more likely that while playing they step in a gofer hole and that how they break a leg. What do you think?

Of course, I told her that if it was my whether who broke his leg, he would be in the freezer already!

2. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    We have several chipmunk holes we have to keep plugged up. They are just the right size for the little ones. Thank goodness our cat, Thor keeps any new munks from moving in. :p

Gina

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree ....there must be holes catching them just right....I would scope the property .....and try to locate the culprit..... 2 broken legs is to many....in such a short amount of time....also ....I'd check places.... that legs can get penned..... in a wood pile or tree branch ect...... :hug:

4. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I figured the next time I go over there, I would walk the pasture. Altho, it is so large and diverse, who knows what I will find. They have always been in this pasture, or at least the older ones, and this is the first year any have broken legs. And it's just the bottle babies doing it...so, maybe the does keep thier kids away from danger?

5. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I have a goat that will put his feet in the holes of the fence and stretch. If your goat does that and there is horseplay around it, that could be a little scary.