The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cacophony of whiny goats finally got the better of me yesterday. So, to placate the goats, I went to the barn to feed the goats a little early. On the way I noticed that I didn't notice my buck Austin. I figured he was probably in the barn, though that would have been unusual. When I went in the barn, the does, as expected, also came in and after the required jostling they went to their assigned places to wait for their food. But Austin, who would normally be waiting at the barn door, was nowhere to be seen. Odd.

I had visions of him being caught in a fence or blackberry bramble through some bizarre set of circumstances. I went out to the pasture to see where he was hanging out.

To my shock, I quickly found him lying against a large rock. One of an arcuate series of large stones we call Goat Henge. He did not seem to be moving and I feared the worst. I ran over and saw he was on his side with his legs sticking straight out. His eye, the one I could see, was closed. His mouth was contorted from lying down in the dirt as a horn rested against the rock.

Then I saw his eyelid move a bit and noticed he was breathing. Not dead yet, I reasoned to myself. I stroked his face, scratched around his ear. I rubbed his back and side a bit. Lacking any other bright ideas, I gently opened his eyelid a bit but he squeezed it shut again. Oh my, I thought. He must be near the end. Poor guy. Wonder what happened. Did he eat something poisonous? There were no signs of an injury.

After a while, the yelling from the barn and a dearth of better ideas, made me decide to go feed the does while I tried to think of what I could do for Austin. As I stood up to go to the barn, Austin slowly opened his eye. Then, in a flash, he was up, jumped over the rock and bolted about 10 feet away.

After coming to my senses and restarting my heart with my mind, I began laughing out loud. I laughed all the way to the barn.

Turns out Austin was fine. He was just sound, sound asleep. He slept through the other goats yelling at me. He slept through me talking to him and petting and scratching him. He even slept through me opening his eye.

·
8,492 Posts
I hate it when they do that! Had a baby doe that was touch and go for about 2 weeks. (My granddaughter age 12, and her mom were bottle feeding 27 doe kids). I kept preparing the granddaughter for the day when the baby was either dead, dying or had to be humanely put down.

Well, one day she ran crying that the baby was dead. I went in and sure enough, flat on the ground, bloat and no breathing. I picked up the limp sad bundle of tan baby goat. No heart beat, no breathing. Carried it outside, what a shame.
Layed it on the straw, went to get a shovel. Got distracted, went back 15 min later. It was gone!

I figured my son saw it, took it and they were buying it. Nope, darn thing was jumping around in the barn! Now, I repeat, I did check for a heartbeat and saw NO breathing, nothing. (I started checking my own sanity!) Wow! Fast forward a month, kid is fine!
My old heart can't take that nonsense! Bad goaties!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Not so much my goats but my LGD's they play dead randomly throughout the day after a hard night work. I always joke oh no the dogs dead again just to call the goats and the dog will start to get up and walk to a new place to play dead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts