not drinking water???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by citygoat, May 14, 2008.

1. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    I have two Nubian Boar cross bucks. for some reason they have stopped drinking water. they seem fine and are eating normal. could it be that they are getting enough water out of the grass and other plants that they don't need it? its been like a week that they have not been drinking. when they see me change the water they will sniff it but then go do something.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    do you have well or city water? if city water they may have changed something recentlly (flushed the lines??) and this is causing them to turn their noses up at it.

Try adding gaterade to the water (just a little) to mask any off taste. That or any of your flavored drink mix stuff.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    They must be getting some water- after a week without drinking at all, they would be in bad shape.
    But because especially bucks can get UC which is so dangerous, I would still want to be sure they are drinking well.
    If everyone else is drinking the same water from the same source, I would think it was unlikely the water. I would empty and scrub out the trough or bucket, then see. Maybe putting a bucket seperately at a different place- if they drink that, then you know.

4. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    my bucks will not drink there water if i don't scrub the bucket every 2 days. i also keep a salt lick in there pen & add acv to there water in the summer to make them drink more

5. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    i have city water. i will try adding some drink mixes to it. my dogs and chickens are still drinking it. they all have there separate water buckets. i have been cleaning it out just about every 3rd day b/c of the pollen.

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Goats are much more discriminating than dogs or chickens.
    Were they drinking OK then stopped?

7. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    yeah the used to drink a bucket in 3 days now it just sets there. when i dump it and clean it out they still don't drink any.

8. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    they are drinking now so what ever the reason was i guess it has passed now. thanks!

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh good news! It is always so hard to know what is wrong when they can't talk to us :hair: