The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My usually-ravenous doe wasn't at all interested in eating this morning. She just stood and looked at me, while everyone else ate breakfast.

I took her temp, and it is normal at 102.5. I had a tube of fortified vitamin B complex oral gel, with thiamine. I gave her a 10 ml dose. Is there anything else I should/can do for her? She is just standing apart from the others in the pasture right now, and it looks like her back end may be a bit arched upward (compared to the other girls whose backs look flat or the arch dips down).

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not pregnant. I just moved all the girls into the barn - it's cold out. She is still just standing there, hanging her head a bit.

I do have injectible fortified b complex. Can I give that on top of the oral dose of the gel I just gave her? Do I have to do this IM like the label says? I've never done that, and it scares me...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No arched back anymore. Just hanging her head, or looking at me a little pitifully.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Yes, you can give the injectable. They just pee out whatever they don't use. I would definitely give her a shot of the fortified B Complex. You can just do SQ.

When was the last time she had a fecal done? I would have a fecal done to include coccidia. Something is wrong and it is a matter of trying things and ruling out problems. A fecal is a great start.

Have you checked her eyelids? This is checking the inside of her eyelid. If it is light pink or white, then she is anemic and you would want to get iron into her either by injection or get red cell and give red cell orally.

Some C&D Antitoxin or Milk of Magnesia probably wouldn't hurt in case she is having rumen problems.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the first time I've ever tried listening to the rumen, but I can't hear anything. She is lying down now. My son thought she was grinding her teeth. I didn't hear that.

She was just turning her head up a bit. Looks so much like the pictures I've seen of goats with polio. I know she may just be looking around or stretching it, but I'm so worried now.

Suggestions? Call the vet to come out???

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Karen, how much CD antitoxin should I give? The bottle only indicates 5ml for suckling goats...

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She was wormed with ivomec plus last week.

Eyelids are bright pink.

On the goat-link.com I am reading that she would need 20cc for an 80 lb goat. She is 130, so would need 32.5 cc - or almost my whole bottle, and multiple shots to get that all in. Is that possibly right?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back from the vet. She had a temp of 104.5. Increased respiration. Was grinding her teeth. Initial blood work showed an increased glucose level.

After we had talked for quite a bit, he decided to see if she would eat. She perked right up, and went for the grain and hay that was offered. And no more teeth grinding. The vet thinks she may have overdone it on her dinner last night?

There is an additional blood test being done ... he recommended we be able to rule out any problems. He did not believe there was any evidence of polio or listerosis, or enterotoxemia. So didn't treat with anything.

Anyway, I can visibly see her breathing fast right now.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, none of that in the pastures. I just walked them to make sure. It does look familiar, though. What is it?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh, and the vet said that he was a bit worried that Greta's condition could be due to the copper bolus I gave her last week. He said too much copper could lead to liver problems, and her body could possibly be reacting.

I didn't treat my other goats with copper, but her coat is not as nice as theirs, and I thought she could use it. Gave her 4g.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
4g isn't going to hurt her here. I give 6g to anyone over 100lbs. and the big 200lb. guys get 12g.

The plant is Horsetail Fern or Scouring Rush. It binds up all the Thiamin in the animals system. It also contains Nicotine so they can have some signs of poisoning as well. It is addictive to them.

I think I would watch her closely for early signs of pneumonia. She just may be coming down with that after all our weird weather.
She could also be allergic to pine tree pollen.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts