not enough milk

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by 4kids, Feb 9, 2010.

1. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    My doe Wildflower seems to have dried up. I can't even milk out an 1/8 th of a cup. Her kids are frusterated (month old twins). She gets plenty of water, hay and grain 2x a day. She was wormed with ivomectin after kidding and then 10 days later and then for three days about a week later with safeguard due to tapes. I can't believe the number of goat issues we have had lately- makes me really think about things. The babies are very frusterated and hungry. The boy, Agustus will take some from a bottle but Abby will not. They do eat hay but do not drink water or eat grain.

Suggestions?

Jen the very sad and frusterated goat owner!

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Did you get any calcium drench? Might want to try getting some and give her some of that. Or MFO, you can order both through jeffers.

Are you sure the kids aren't just taking it all? I know some of mine stay pretty empty when the kids are on 24/7.

How much grain is she getting?

If abby isn't drinking from a bottle then she probably isn't hungry enough. Mine have always taken bottles if they were hungry enough.

3. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Need to get calcium drench. She gets about a large yogurt container (the big one) of grain in am and pm, hay in am and pm. Grain has seeds, alfalfa ect... mixed in. I watch Abby on her and she drinks for a sec and then switches to the other side and then back. Wildflower only stands for a minute and then walks away. I was thinking about taking the kids at night in a seperate stall but I am afraid of how cold it is. I think they drink more at night also. Her udder is smaller also.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Try giving her some warm molasses water. If it is warm and a little sweet, they tend to drink it well and the more she drink's the more she will make.

Now i have a doe that dried up last year on one side with twins on her after three weeks, I decided she did not need to be bred anymore.

Try massaging her utter, hot warn compresses on them and see if that helps to stimulate anything. Try holding her and let the babies keep nursing and hope that will stimulate things. If not it looks like you are going to have bottle babies. Abby will take from the bottle in time, and it might take several nipples to fine the one she likes. Good Luck

5. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Her udder doesn't feel engorged at all just flat. When I try to milk -there just isn't anything in there. The kids do continue to try and I do see them on throughout the day. It just doesn't seem like much. Abby is energetic and still not interested in eating from the bottle. Agustus does top off with the bottle. Should I try and seperate Wildflower over night to detemine better if there is milk or not?

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That sounds like a good idea. If she is engorged then you will know you just have two pigs on your hands. If not then you know you will have to have patients until Abby gets the hang of the bottle