Not Finishing his bottles

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by nancy d, Jun 29, 2010.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    1mo old bottle baby about 20lbs temp 104.6 Yesterday & today not finishing bottles (whole milk)
    Gets 20oz 3x daily. Beginning to pick at grain & a little hay.
    Yellow poop & a little mucous. Peeing fine.
    Is this some sort of ecoli infection & what do I do? Thank you.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    You can treat him with neomycin oral solution this will take care of any ecoli infection. Could be coccidia too or even enterotoxemia. But I would go with the neomycin first.

3. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Did give him 2cc Pen G oral have no neomycin. Temp now @ to 103.8

Have to go to appt will check in later.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh ok - well Ive never given pen orally dont know the effectiveness of it that way

5. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Neomycin should be available at your local TSC or farm supply store.. If not, look for a product called "Scour Halt" or "ScourChek"...it's oral spectinomycin labeled for e.coli in baby pigs. Used frequently off-label in goats for bacterial enteritis. I know at least one fellow who mixes oral neomycin 1:1 with oral spectinomycin and gives them together on recommendation from his vet; vet apparently said they both kill e.coli, but each are better at different strains or something to that effect. I dunno..

Anyway, both are OTC and fairly cheap. Dosage for a kid that small would be pretty low...I'd probably go 3ml every 12hrs until he perked up.

If the scour picks up in frequency or gets really watery, make sure he stays hydrated.. Drench with electrolytes frequently..

6. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    When I was treating his bro for FKS my mentor had me giving it orally.

[email protected] an hr ago. Had also given him 2ccBcomplex before my appt. He sucked down 16oz.

Since they in main area with LGD he keeps bottoms clean so that's going to be difficult.
    They also get at least 8oz electrolyte water between bottle sched.