Not getting as much milk...

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Cinder, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    My 2 Alpine does have been here for 11 days now. I expected them to be stressed out from the move here. They left a herd of around 10 other goats and grazing on 200 acres to come to my house where they are (temporarily) in a 12x36 barn stall (part inside and part outside run). I have two wooden spools in there and they do like to be on them a lot. They are not with my ND's as I feel the space is just too small for four goats and I want the ND's to have plenty of space to get away if the big girls get nasty toward them. (We are putting up a large fenced area that will be, hopefully, done in the next month.)

Both girls were consistently giving 1 gallon of milk a day. Two weeks before they came to my house they were moved to another farm for just three days (their owner had to go out of town and that was the easiest for her and her friend to milk). I went over each day and helped milk so I could learn and get experience. They gave about 14 cups through that weekend, they were with multiple other goats then also, including three from their own herd.

Christina is now giving me 3 -5 cups a milking and Carnation between 5 - 6 /12 cups each milking. Christina started acting up a little (on the milk stand) two nights ago and ended up with her foot in the bucket (the cats and dogs loved that!). I tied her back feet down the next milking (per instructions from their former owner and another goat friend) and she hasn't budged them since. Normally, they never move their back feet on the milk stand - one of the things I love about them.

They are getting feed each time they are on the milk stand (Classy Goat mixed with BOSS) and free choice grass/alfalfa hay. We started with just grass hay and then went to the grass/alfalfa mix since they were totally on pasture. Eventually I'll give them straight alfalfa.

Can I expect them to get back to the gallon a day? Or, is this all I'm going to get until they freshen again? Might they even stop giving milk now?

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    How long have they been in lactation? I've noticed that when breeding season comes around, milk production drops considerably. I would think they might be settled in by now or at least getting settled. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Oh, how many times a day are you milking, once or twice? When I was trying to up production on a doe, I milked her three times a day. 6am, noon, and 6 pm. She was moved to a new home and once she settled in w/ her new owners, she gave a quart and a half each day (a Nigerian doe). Maybe if you're able to milk more often, that could help?

3. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I am milking twice a day, roughly 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. That is the schedule they were on before coming here.

One had her kids in February and the other, I believe, in May.

So, if I were to milk them around 1:00ish every day, plus the morning and night, do you think that would help get their production back up? And then, would I have to maintain the three a days to keep it up or could I drop back to the two a day milkings?

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    When milk goes down you have to ask yourself a couple questions: Is there something wrong with the feed? Did they come into heat? Did the weather change suddenly?(like from hot to cold or if its rainy) Did I change something in their feed recently?

What is the protein content of your grain? How much grain are you giving them per milking? I could see your doe that kidded in February going down, but the one that kidded in May should still be giving good. Since you moved them almost two weeks ago, even though that was technically a while ago they may have caught up with the transitioning all of the sudden and thats why their milk is down. Sometimes if you change types of hay their milk can go down if they aren't used to eating the new hay.