Not goat related - dog question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NigerianDwarfOwner707, Jun 20, 2020.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Hey everybody, I know this is odd and not goat related but I need some suggestions and I trust y’all so much!!

I have the most difficult dog... no, not in behavior, he’s the sweetest thing in the world, but he is extremely sensitive to things in his diet.

So here’s my problem...

He’s 11 years old, he’s a Belgian Tervuren (for those of you who don’t know, think German Shepherd). He used to be quite overweight, on regular kibble, but a few years ago I switched him off of it because he had so many digestive issues. He’s now on freeze-dried raw food, and he does amazing. He started to become leaner, was no longer obese, and his body was perfect. His shepherd hip problems pretty much went away and his digestion was better than I’ve ever seen. He’s been on this for a while now, and he gets a fairly large serving of it. He’s begun to drop some weight, which is to be expected for an 11 year old - though otherwise he is very healthy and in good spirits!! I cannot keep increasing the food he is getting because it is incredibly expensive, and I don’t want to overdo it either, I’d rather add something to it. I tried to find a good vegetable mixer (dehydrated etc.) and tried one from honest kitchen but he became constipated... darn!!

My dog cannot eat grains, he cannot eat kibbles, his food must be soft due to teeth problems, can’t have eggs, can’t have dairy, can’t even have most raw meat, like fresh ground beef - that’s too much for his stomach to handle. Can’t have chicken. Haven’t tried boiling meat though, that could be a possibility.

He may sound like an absolute wimp of a dog, LOL, but I promise his allergies and issues are quite real, I’m not babying him!! He will vomit repeatedly if he eats most of the foods I’ve listed.

So, I’m asking y’all if anyone knows of ways to get weight on a dog, that somehow, maybe, fits the criteria he needs!!

Thanks everybody!!

2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Can you post a picture of him?

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. Llaughingllama

Llaughingllama Member

Jun 20, 2020
    Montana
    Hey NigerianDwarfOwner --

I'm new here, but I've been with dogs a lot longer than goats, being a retired sled dog racer. Your pup does seem to have problems! I would recommend higher protein and maybe a bit more fat, if possible. Try ground game meat, if you can get it. Cooked, of course. Vegetables don't have near the amount of calories your pup needs. If your pup can tolerate it, cooked ground turkey works too. If you can give meat fat like tallow, do it slowly or your pup will get diarrhea. Come to think of it, anything given too quickly will cause diarrhea. So, go slow on it. Dogs love liver, so cooked liver is an option as well. Once cooked, you can put it in the blender and give your dog a liver add-on. Plus, lots of vitamins in there.

Hope that helps!

ETA: You might want to try goose or duck eggs with him instead of chicken eggs. My old Malamute, Lachlan, is allergic to chicken and chicken eggs but is fine with goose eggs. Just a thought.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  4. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    What about a supplement like dyne? Just know (this was told to me by a friend when i was trying get weight on jade) he may not eat as much of his food food because he feels more full from all of the calories in the dyne. So you have to pay attention to his eating. I am not sure how important this is to a dog but for a goat they need to have enough roughage for rumen function... so i just jad pay close attention a d make sure she was still eating other stuff too.

Have you asked your vet?

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA

Dyne has too many things he is allergic to in it, unfortunately.

6. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Ah ok. Maybe the vet can suggest one or has one for him?

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Vegetables definitely aren’t enough, but I thought with him already being on the meat protein, the addition of it with carbs like sweet potatoes may be the extra that he needs. I was definitely considering liver, and we may try cooked ground turkey or beef to see how he does!!

8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Vets have always been pretty stumped by him, but I am planning to ask at his next visit!!

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I mean, I could, but you wouldn’t be able to gauge his weight. He’s as fluffy as a bear... errr, well, more like a lion LOL!! You can only tell he’s underweight by feeling him deep under his fur!!

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  10. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Try gluten free breads to add to your mixture. The liver & turkey boiled should be easy on his digestion. But gluten free products can be added slowly to supplement his food.

11. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    A friend of mine has a dog who is allergic to almost everything. He is on a diet of mostly rabbit. Like his owner buys whole rabbits and prepares it for him. You could try it if other meats don’t work. I don’t remember what kind of dog he is but I’m thinking maybe he was a Malinois and was a police dog. You can also get an allergy test done. It is similar to ones in people.

12. Llaughingllama

Llaughingllama Member

Jun 20, 2020
    Montana
    I wanted to add that about 20 years ago I remember musher veterinarians experimenting using no carbohydrates with their dogs. It worked out okay, except the high fat/high protein gave the huskies diarrhea. The addition of a small amount of carbohydrates was really all they needed to keep that from happening. Working dogs don't really need a lot of carbohydrates, but given your Malinois is 11, he's probably not doing much working right now. Still, if you're concerned about him getting some extra fiber, if he's not allergic to rice or quinoa, you may want to cook that and add a bit for bulk.

Let me know how he does.

13. Llaughingllama

Llaughingllama Member

Jun 20, 2020
    Montana
    Rabbit is good because it's a novel protein (aka, one that dogs usually aren't fed, and therefore aren't allergic to it). I went cheap with Lachlan when I discovered him getting hotspots eating chicken (and chicken eggs) and tried beef. He seems to do okay with that. Chicken eggs though will cause hotspot flareups, so he gets eggs from my geese when they're laying.

14. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    We used to boil hamburger in water and add minute rice. Drain well. The dog had been poisoned and boiled rice and burger were all she could keep down. Don't know if this would help your dog or not.
    (I love the Malinois, but I've never found any for sale). I hope your old buddy has many years left with you!

15. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’d try adding rice like others have suggested. What is in the freeze dried food he does well on?

16. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    The Malinois is part of the Belgian family, but he’s a Tervuren - so a malinois with long hair.

Thank you!! Other than losing some weight he is quite healthy, and he acts like a puppy! This boy has not slowed down a bit, I am pretty sure he’s aging backwards!!

17. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    He does wonderful on rabbit, worth a try!!

18. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Well he was on the beef one but they changed the formula so now he’s on Turkey.

Turkey, ground turkey bone, turkey heart, turkey liver, apple, carrot, romaine lettuce, watermelon, flax, fish oil, apple cider vinegar, blueberry, cranberry, and more...

Angel A and Moers kiko boars like this.
  19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Very good advice by all.

Angel A and Moers kiko boars like this.
  20. Angel A

Angel A Active Member

Apr 4, 2020
    North Idaho
    You may know this as well, but just throwing it out there. I see people post Craigslist ads looking for game meat and freezer burnt meat for making raw food for their dogs. This may help you pick up some meat for a lower price. I had to make raw food for my dogs a couple of yrs back and it is expensive!!!
    Also, my husband bought me a German Shepherd puppy last yr and the breeder recommended NuVet Labs to us. We now have our dogs on a multi-vitamin from them. I believe I pay about $45 a bottle and there’s 90 (3 months supply for 1 dog) wafers per bottle.

image.jpg image.jpg

When our pups got parvo several yrs back and were near death we used an all natural non gmo whey protein powder to supplement them and help them add some of their lost weight back on. I would think you could just sprinkle it on the raw food if you don’t want to mix it with anything. Garden of Life is a brand we trust and use a lot in our household. It’s dairy free, soy free and gluten free!!!
    image.jpg
    Good Luck!!! Hope something we tossed out there is beneficial.

Attached Files: