not good news

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by silvergramma, May 27, 2010.

1. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    :pray: I will be busy as ever now not because of sales and new babies ,, but one of our does just tested positive for Cl with an abcess that had burst that we didnt see..
    I'm devastated.. she is our smallest adult doe a tricolor buckskin named Ginger Ale.. her numbers were low enough that the vet said we should retest her according to the labs findings in a four week secondary blood draw.. so I made the appointment for June 8th,, couldnt get her in any sooner.. anywhere,, yesterday we found another one on the same side.. that soon..
    so I've cancelled the appointment for the draw and am making an appointment to have her put down..the babies will stay until our herd is cleared or otherwise,, no sales,, no additions..
    Just wanted all of you to know its not something I would hide..all the goats will be tested in the box in the back of the truck so they dont have to go into the vets barn after all the testing is over with we'll burn the box and sanitize the truck and see about doing the barn and spraying whatever we can.. lots of acreage here and they are free ranged,, yah we're gonna need prayer to get rid of it if we're lucky enough to do so..
    and we had just had her bred to the new buck,,
    he's gonna be tested along with four others right off the bat.. then four at a time.. the end of this month the whole herd will be shaved down and checked for abcesses,, its too cold at night right now to to do,
    please pray for..
    Nutmeg,, Gingerale's daughter..
    Izzy, Speck, Kimber, Lily, and her daughter Bennili
    Moe,, who's hair just started to grow back from shedding way too much
    Tony Lama our buck..
    the twins Pidget and Meewee
    the twins Maxi and Micki
    Elsie Mae and her twin Wilma
    Pixie mom to Pidget and Meewee
    Squirt, Smokey and Laverne and Shirley, twins
    Yahtzee, Twister and Jenga
    Cisco Izzy's twin brother.
    Cocoa the mom to the triplets
    and Teatsie who is recovering nicely and hair is starting to cover her scars
    Spunky and Spike our twin wethers and
    Wetherby our black and white blue eyed wether
    Ironically enough Gingerale tested negative for cae..

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so very sorry :hug:
    I commend you for your honesty and openess as far as this disease goes, there are not many out there who would be so open.
    Prayers are sent that you don't have any more come up with abcesses. :hug:

3. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    :pray: I'm so sorry. Are there anyplaces that would take her? A rescue that already has some CL's? :hug: I hope everyone else is ok.

Gina

4. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    So sorry this has happened to you !! Keep God in your heart and we will all pray for you and the goats. God Bless

5. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I'm so sorry about this. You are certainly having more than your share of hardship. Sending lots of hope your way that you can get this cleared without a lot more grief and pain.

Jan

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    IF you can - get some of the inside of the abcess and send to WADDL to have an isolate pulled - then have the isolate sent to Hygia Lab in California and have a vaccine made to protect your ones that are negative so that they do not pick it up!!!

I am so sorry that you are going through this - hugs!

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH NO. I am so so sorry about the news. I sure wish I could do something for you. So for now please take these :hug: :hug: and know we are praying :pray: for you.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am praying for you.... :pray: and I am so sorry.... you are going through this... :( :hug:

9. SCC

SCC New Member

May 25, 2010
    my heart breaks for you and your herd, keep your chin up :hug:

10. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    well it seems like i need to change vets.. he said there was no vaccine!!!!
    both the abcesses burst and dried before we could even know about it.. it hit her hard and fast.. we've had nothing but rain here all week long and it so cold at night yet.. cant wait for warmer weather so we can shave them down..we have a metal water trough for incineration if necessary..
    there is no goat rescue in this state.. they will be with us right till the end when and if that comes.. I know Gingerale will be the first to go tho.. I was hoping to start pictures this week but weather has us storms all week it seems..Kelebek can you send me some information on all that.. Washington state is were the testing was done...
    that vet didnt even seem interested in educating me any further..

11. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I am so sorry. :hug: i hope she is the only one who ends up testing positive. Will keep you in my prayers.

12. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    two more does have tested positive and are showing signs of absesses..I still cant believe that vet said there were no vaccines.. is this state that far behind the times???

13. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Did you check on getting the vaccine made? Is there any hope for the one's that are positive or is it just for the one's that are negative? :pray: :hug: I've been thinking about you and keeping you and the goats on my prayer list.

Gina

14. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    well I found what I was looking for as far as research is concerned and there is supposed to be a faciltiy in Colorado that will be making serum for goats they only make it for sheep at this point and they sell the it through jeffers long road ahead of me..not giving up

15. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Good for you. You and the herd are on sooo many prayer lists right now. We won't forget about you. :hug:

Gina & the Big Valley Arena Cowboy Church prayer list

16. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Awww, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with CL. Sounds like your doing the best you can. I bought a doe last summer who tested positive for Johnes. I was devastated but thankfully I had her in quarantine. It was very nerve wracking when I tested the rest of my herd later. My nerves still won't be at ease until next years test are negative again. Good luck!

17. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    Instead of putting your doe down have you thought of using formalin on the abcess?

18. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    her counts are too high..and she is no longer with us.. the second test came back..she had two abcesses..

19. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Sad to say but I would've put her down too. It's hard to do but understandable. We waited until we had 2 positives with the one doe and then my husband put her down.

20. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    so far the total is four does with it.. Ginger ale wasnt pregnant or nursing and Pixie wasnt either.. the other two does were nursing..here's waiting on their second testing...so far no one else is showing signs.. and the abcess ( spelling) is showing up just below the ear lobes behind the jaw..
    I've got to say thank you for all the prayers and support .. its been hard but I'm taking the emotional loss a lot better than I thought I would..