NOT in a good mood - WARNING - GRAPHIC PIX

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by kelebek, Feb 4, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Well, if today wasn't bad enough - it has gotten worse!

Today I came home and went to the barn, I walked through the boys pen to go check the sheep like I needed to since they got into the goat minerals last night and I was freaked they would be dead. When I opened the door, I saw something red on the ground, but thought it was a piece of paper (I was also on my cell at the time). Anyway, I walked back to the door so that I could get feed ready to bring in, bent down - and it was a fetus - TINY little fetus about 2 inches long. Couln't tell if it was a sheep or goat - but could see tiny little hooves and ribs and what not. Looked to have blue eyes - so I started panicing and looking around..... scared to death that it was Snow who is the only confirmed pregnant one by Joe Dirt.

Well, ir wasn't her - kept looking (honestly a little releaved) and found that it was my pygmy, Daisie Mae. And she had another hanging. I pulled her out and watched her. She is eating and drinking just fine - running around, but has the string hanging out the back.

I took pictures because I know exactly how far along she was and there have been many asking about size of fetus. She was 58 days gestation. kids were 1/2 pygmy 1/2 nigerian.

Here is momma, and then pics of the fetuses. It looked like twin does - but it was really hard to tell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next to 2" vet wrap

[​IMG]

Next to a sealed 1 1/2" needle

[​IMG]

What a way to end my night :cry:

2. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I know exactly how you feel . . .here's a hug from tia . . . :hug: . . . .

3. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Oh I'm so sorry! :hug: That's so sad. I wonder what happened to make her lose them?

4. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Once again, I am SO VERY sorry Allison! :hug:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Its hard to say - but the other goats seem to beat her up alot. So I don't know. This was going to be her last breeding with me - as someone really wanted a kid from her and had a deposit on a doeling for sure from her - 2 if she had 2. She was bred to my BE buck.

6. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I'm sorry for the loss. :( :hug:

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, gosh, I am so sorry! That is so sad, they were so tiny. :hug:

8. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    :hug: My heart goes out to you. Poor thing! Thank you for sharing the pictures though, it is something we all need to know. I'm so sorry she aborted but maybe there was something wrong. Hope she has a normal pregnancy next time. Glad you still have your Joe Dirt babies coming too. :hug:

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    :hug: I am so sorry Allison. :tears:

10. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    So very sorry Allison! :grouphug:

11. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you for shariing the photo though. It was interesting.

12. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    :( So sorry for your losses.

Thanks for sharing the pics, though. Very informative. :tears:

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    This morning I went out and checked on momma - she is doing well - seems her "normal" self. Eating and what not - but she still hasn't passed that string. I have never had that happen before.

Should I talk to the vet and see about getting a shot of Oxy to take home? It doesn't look to have come any farther out at all.

I am not sure, still, why she miscarried, but I did vaccinate and deworm her on Sunday - but nothing different then any other goatie and wormer is safe for pregnant does - Ivomec oral. And no other does are showing signs. (did 8 pregnant girls that day).

Will keep you all posted.

14. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Im sorry she lost her babies. :(

I have always wanted to know what they looked like...

Did you give her Ivomec Plus?

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so very sorry ........for your loss...that is so sad.... :( :hug:

16. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    :hug: When you get home this evening from work if she still hasn't passed it or made any progress then I would probably call the vet and get the shot to give her. :hug:

17. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    oh gosh Allison, i'm so sorry. I think I would definabtly give the vet a call. It's more common for them to retain a placenta if they abort. Just see what the vet thinks. :hug:

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm so sorry.....and if she still hasn't passed the afterbirth, I would be talking to the vet. :hug:

Terrible situation, but those pics are very educational.....shows exactly how big the fetus is at 58 days, amazing how fast they develope too.

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Allison, I am so sorry about this. I am glad that you posted the pictures. I have never seen a baby that small. Very interesting.

I would also get some Oxy. She needs it soon to get that cleaned out before her cervix closes up. She might also need a 5 day dose of a antibiotic. That is what my vet told me to do.

I have to say I am really happy for you that it was not one of Joe Dirt's babies.

20. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    I am really sorry Allison. I know you are heartbroken. My vet told me recently that she had some boers that aborted after worming. I would talk to your vet and get advice.

http://www.singinghillsgoats.net