Not many does settled.

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by sweetgoats, Nov 11, 2010.

1. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, I bred 9 does this year. (Ok 8 but the bucks got out and I thought bred one). I used all new bucks this year, none that I have ever used before to try to get some new lines in the herd, on all but three of them. Two are the two new does to me so I was breeding them to my buck, and the one that the bucks got out and I just new she took. :?

I had one go to a buck at another location. I new when she was going to be in heat because I had to lute her because the bucks got out as mentioned above. I brought her home, and about 20 days from when I new she should of been bred she was going crazing trying to get in with my bucks, so I called and took her right back to the buck and left her a few days. Nope she was in heat again in 20 days or she is having false heats but she has never had them before.

The one I though was bred by the escape buck, well she should be kidding in December, and she has no bag at all and so I guess we missed that one, and for the other, I just am not sure they took. Except for the two new girls I had that I bred to my buck, they were in with him for two months.

I will not bred now because I only bred for Jan Feb babies, I do not like them later then that. The reason being is in shows, you have no chance in world, because they are smaller then the others. Also, I find when I have babies in Jan /Feb kids I never have sick goats. (Just a personal opinion).

I guess the lord new what he was doing because usually I have about 8-10 people on my waiting list and this year I have had a lot of people contact me but only one deposit. So I guess he know best, OR they are bred and are just hiding it really well, because they are all way to fat right now. :sigh:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh man.... that would be a terrible thing.... if alot of them didn't take :( ....but you are right...... the Lord works in mysterious ways...... :wink: :pray: :thumb:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am having difficulties with my one doe who never has issues -- must be this year or something :shrug:

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    you know a friend of mine just had 2 of her does come back into heat....they were due in January but apparently didn't take either. Must just be something in the air???? Hopefully some of your does are in fact bred and just not showing yet???

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sorry all of them didn't take....look at it this way though, you won't be nearly as nuts come kidding time :hair: and you know for sure that it will be easier to rehome a few kids as opposed to an entire herd of them, especially with so few reservations. :hug:
    I totally agree with you on kidding out in February...the latest I've had a doe kid was the end of April, those late winter kids are so much healthier and robust.

6. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Hmm... My goats didn't start going in heat until October... which really sucks... But... I wanted May babies, now that I am reading this though, I am worried...I understand what you mean about Jan/Feb babies... but my gosh!!! I have 10 does and none even STARTED to heat until last month!!! :(

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Could be ...from the weird weather we been having.... It is really weird ..that alot of breeders are having the same issues this year.... But for me and my boers.... they took real quick..... the 1st go around and was in heat within 2 weeks of the bucks presence.... :scratch:

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Ugh, ain't that the truth? I had several come into heat a couple times before seeming to settle. And now, my Nubian doe is in heat and the buck appears to have no clue on what he's supposed to be doing LOL.

Still have another Nubian doe and a Boer doe to get bred. Don't like kids so late in the year, especially here in Texas, but I DONT want these Nubians going dry for a whole year.

Another friend has a buck who absolutely does NOT act like a buck. No rut, no smell, no interest in does that are right in his face. She's going to wether him, poor guy.