Not mine but.......

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Crissa, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    This is my bosses neighbors filly that I'm totally in love with! She's a red dun Quarter horse! If I could afford her she would be MINE!!! :lol: :horse:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

3. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    You should see her in person! And she's easy to handle. (I had to get her legs out of a bunch of wire once) Very gentle laid back filly.

4. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    :stars: I might be getting her! The owners are actually selling her and since she was injured when she was a foal they're going to be selling her cheap! My boss is going to ask them if they will take weekly payments for her and if they do she will be mine!!! :horse: Yippee! One of my friends will board her with her horses at her house. (My friend owns about 9-10 acres of land)

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Wow Crissa! I hope they say yes! That would be awesome!

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Yes I hope so too! I've had my eye on her since they put her out in that field. :lol:

7. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Oh Crissa that is sooo exciting! She is so beautiful!!! I so hope it works out for you!

8. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I know! Once she got her back legs wrapped up in wire and I had to untangle her and that's when I found out how easy she was to handle, I just grabbed her leg moved it after unwrapping it and she just stood there and watched me! And she stood with me while I was waiting to be picked up from work and nuzzled me! I really hope I get her!

9. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    That's neat Crissa! I hope it works out where you can get her, she's really pretty!

10. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Thanks Bethany!

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh wow Crissa that would be awesome

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    That would be awsome, I hope you get her! :) She's beautiful.

13. Rachel K

Rachel K New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Dyersville, Iowa
    That would be absolutely wonderful if you were able to buy her. She is a beauty filly.

14. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Thanks Stacey, Sarah and Rachel! I'm so excited to hear what the owner says!

15. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    I think she is lovely; however, I have a very important question for you.

How much experience do you have with horses? I don't mean the occasional trail ride, or chance encounter with a nice horse, either...I mean like having had riding lessons on different horses, or working alongside someone who trains them.

If you have little to no experience, I would be looking for a trainer to help guide you with this filly; she may be sweet now, but she is still a compliant 'baby'; she WILL go through many different stages that, although not abnormal, will make you wonder where the sweet quiet filly you originally bought went. A trainer will recognise the 'rebellious phases' and know how to handle the baby without making him afraid of humans. All horses need a handler who understands behaviors of equines, and baby horses while 'cute and seemingly very gentle' can turn into 'unruly monsters' almost overnight...this is typical. Young horses still need a firm understanding hand; they need a leader.

I have seen too many people start out with young horses, thinking it would be a great experience to 'grow' with the horse; in some instances it works, but these people have trainers to help them through the horses growing pains and testing grounds. Others, and this is the most frequent thing I have seen as both trainer of horses and people, wind up with a horse that is too uncontrollable, and they eventually become afraid of the horse; all because he is growing up, and they didn't really know how to handle the baby properly during the growing phases.

I don't want to sound like a downer here, because I know you really want a horse; however, because I have seen both horses and riders hurt, because of their lack of understanding of how they need to be handled at any age, and what to do about typical behaviors that crop up, I must make sure you know what you are getting into.

Find a trainer who is willing to help you train her properly, especially if you dont have much experience with horses; and just as importantly so, if you have never trained a horse before; you can have tons of experience with kind gentle trained horses, but that is NOT the same as bringing one up from a baby age.

Read good training books as well; Clinton Anderson is one of my favorites, because his methods are very simple, but very effective...he also stresses how much importance lies on you, the handler, to be out there every day with your horse, otherwise, it does not do much good to use any method on him...they need consistancy.

I hope this helps...like I said, I don't want to sound like a downer, but just because she will be 'cheap' doesn't mean she is the best deal for you, especially if you lack experience.

You can find decently trained horses more suited for your level, and often people will work with you on a payment plan if they see that you and the horse are the proper fit for one another. I would check out sites like dreamhorse, and equinecity. There are also all kinds of other websites that you can check out...just type in something like "horses for sale, (your state)"

Anyway, good luck in your decision; I really do like her...just make sure you know what you are getting into before getting into it too deep. ;) Like I said, I have seen one too many people get a young horse without enough experience under their belt, and it turns out to be a bad situation for both parties; there's a saying in the horse training world that I have found is for the most part true... green+green=black and blue

16. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    I think she is lovely; however, I have a very important question for you.

How much experience do you have with horses? I don't mean the occasional trail ride, or chance encounter with a nice horse, either...I mean like having had riding lessons on different horses, or working alongside someone who trains them.

If you have little to no experience, I would be looking for a trainer to help guide you with this filly; she may be sweet now, but she is still a compliant 'baby'; she WILL go through many different stages that, although not abnormal, will make you wonder where the sweet quiet filly you originally bought went. A trainer will recognise the 'rebellious phases' and know how to handle the baby without making him afraid of humans. All horses need a handler who understands behaviors of equines, and baby horses while 'cute and seemingly very gentle' can turn into 'unruly monsters' almost overnight...this is typical. Young horses still need a firm understanding hand; they need a leader.

I have seen too many people start out with young horses, thinking it would be a great experience to 'grow' with the horse; in some instances it works, but these people have trainers to help them through the horses growing pains and testing grounds. Others, and this is the most frequent thing I have seen as both trainer of horses and people, wind up with a horse that is too uncontrollable, and they eventually become afraid of the horse; all because he is growing up, and they didn't really know how to handle the baby properly during the growing phases.

I don't want to sound like a downer here, because I know you really want a horse; however, because I have seen both horses and riders hurt, because of their lack of understanding of how they need to be handled at any age, and what to do about typical behaviors that crop up, I must make sure you know what you are getting into.

Find a trainer who is willing to help you train her properly, especially if you dont have much experience with horses; and just as importantly so, if you have never trained a horse before; you can have tons of experience with kind gentle trained horses, but that is NOT the same as bringing one up from a baby age.

Read good training books as well; Clinton Anderson is one of my favorites, because his methods are very simple, but very effective...he also stresses how much importance lies on you, the handler, to be out there every day with your horse, otherwise, it does not do much good to use any method on him...they need consistancy.

I hope this helps...like I said, I don't want to sound like a downer, but just because she will be 'cheap' doesn't mean she is the best deal for you, especially if you lack experience.

You can find decently trained horses more suited for your level, and often people will work with you on a payment plan if they see that you and the horse are the proper fit for one another. I would check out sites like dreamhorse, and equinecity. There are also all kinds of other websites that you can check out...just type in something like "horses for sale, (your state)"

Anyway, good luck in your decision; I really do like her...just make sure you know what you are getting into before getting into it too deep. ;) Like I said, I have seen one too many people get a young horse without enough experience under their belt, and it turns out to be a bad situation for both parties; there's a saying in the horse training world that I have found is for the most part true... green+green=black and blue; meaning an inexperienced horse and rider, can spell disaster.

17. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Thanks! I really appreciate your input. Yep actually I've had quite a bit of experience, not in training to ride but I've halter broken a couple horses. I realize that I need someone more experience to help, I know about three people that would be willing to help me to train her. I watch a ton of horse training shows and read a ton. Normally I wouldn't dream of getting an untrained horse but this one, just.....pops! I really appreciate the tips, it helps to have more views on it. I'll keep you updated on it!

18. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
  19. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Thanks Hailee!

20. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Yeah, really. Getting a young horse can be a bad thing if you are unexperienced with horses. You have to be firm, and make sure they do something stepping in the right direction before you let them stop what your making them do.]