Not passing the afterbirth...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lesserweevil, Mar 3, 2010.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Okay well this isn't EXACTLY a goat. Well, it's not a goat. It's a sheep. But it's kind of LIKE a goat... *ahem*

Anyway. She lambed... sometime in the night not last night but the night before. Her first lamb was born Monday evening sometime before midnight, and was fine. The second lamb was... well, it wasn't born at midnight, and it was mostly born at 0500 or so the following morning. very dead.

unfortunately it just had its head out and strangulated itself hanging there by the time my brother got to the barn. The guy who checked her at midnight thought she was only going to have a single so did not realise that there was a problem and that she had not lambed the second one.

Thankfully my brother managed to draw the second lamb without TOO much difficulty, but there was no chance of reviving it. The first lamb is massive - I'd say she weighs a good 11 - 13 lb at least. I'm not sure what size the second lamb was.

Anyway, it is now... about 40ish hours since she lambed, and there is still part of the placenta (looking a bit rotten) hanging out of her backside. Which I know is NOT good news.

Anyway, I got a bottle of oxytocin from the vet... my question is, how much do I want to give her? I don't want to hurt her... I gave her 1ml this afternoon at the vet's secretary's suggestion, and it doesn't seem to have done ANYTHING, and this is about 11 hours later.

Thoughts??

LW

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I had something like that happen when I was taking care of a friend's goats while they were on vacation....the doe kidded while they were gone but she wouldn't pass her afterbirth all the way. I called a breeder friend of mine who is a long time breeder and she told me to take an empty vitamin pill bottle and fill it with water, then tie it with twine around the afterbirth as close to their body as possible. We did that and she passed it with no problems.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have heard of doing the same as Sarah said, adding a little weight to the part that is hanging will help to slowly detach it. Not sure of the Oxy dose, maybe have your brother contact the vet again on that. Sorry you aren't home, I know you would have been with her and likely not have lost the twin.

4. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    there's not enough hanging to attach anything to - it's only about 2 inches of it, unfortunately :(
    i'm home with her now...

LW

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    still not passed... I inserted a couple of fingers and it goes right back in there, and cervix is closing around it :( it is starting to smell rotten too. The sheep is quite happy with herself though, i guess due to the pen-strep I have her on. I have phoned the vet and am waiting for a call back... aargh.

LW

6. jberter

jberter New Member

geee, sounds scary, hope you hear back from your vet ,, soon,,, :grouphug:

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    got an injection from the vet for her.

Let's hope this works!!!

LW

8. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
  9. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    no change
    the vet did say 2 days though, so I guess that gives her another day
    LW

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    what did the vet give you? any improvement?

keep her on the a/b if she doesnt clean and the cervix closes that will take care of things