The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a yearling doe who has been in with the buck since October 6th. I pulled her out last weekend and it appears that she may be in heat again. She is a goat that always has very subtle heats, a little bit of discharge and that is pretty much it. She is a little chubby, about 4 in body condition, she gets fat off air, could this affect her settling? Do you think she is in heat again or it is just discharge from pregnancy? Should I put her in with the buck again? The buck isn't mine, so she would have to travel to get to him.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is hard to say.
Unless she is tested with a buck or preg test.

If she is overweight, sometimes they do not take.
That is what I was worried about. It is frustrating though because she hasn't had any grain since May. All summer she was on grass and right now she is on just hay, but she still hangs onto the extra fat.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She does have a selenium tail--I have been working on that. She has free-choice Purina Wind, Rain, and Storm, free-choice trace mineral salt, and a Himalayan salt block. She was copper-bolused and given selenium gel last weekend.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has anyone tried the urine tests? Thoughts on them? I've never drawn blood before, but would be willing to give it a try if urine tests aren't accurate.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She is in with 2 doelings that came into heat this past week. Could this have triggered her into having heat-like symptoms? I am looking into blood testing, but haven't taken blood before. I'm just worried that she will be able to hide her pregnancy well as she is deep-bodied, wide, and a little chubby and I might not be able to tell visually with her for a while and at that point I don't really want to breed her for summer babies, but I will if I have to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts