The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
8,113 Posts
First, what are you feeding it? Over feeding is a danger. Most goats do not have a shut off valve! They eat way too much and that could kill them.

It should get fed every 4-6 hours round the clock. 4 hours during the day, then a bottle late at night and one first thing in the mornings, 6-7 hrs. (Max).

Feed until her tummy is slightly rounded, but not sticking out. Sometimes, as they eat, they will stop, pee then finish.

Regular whole cows milk from the store is better than most formulas and milk replaces. Put a pinch of Baking SODA in the first bottle of the day.

If you are feeding a milk replacer, follow the mixing instructions exactly. Too much powder and they will get dehydrated quickly, too much water and they will starve.

Do not ever give water in a bottle. It can kill them.

IMPORTANT: if you decide to switch from replacer to milk, give 2 or 3 feedings of a goat Electralyte solution to clear out their systems before switching. Or, you can add a little milk to the already mixed formula and slowly switch over that way. Takes a few days to do this. Never switch foods on a goat quickly. Baby or adult.

I hope this helps. Congratulations on your new baby!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much. I really hope I can do this with my daughter. We are feeding formula. 4 tablespoons to 330 ml water. That is what the previous owner was feeding. She eats every 4 hours. Today was a cold and wet day so she was very quiet. Is that normal? We have put up a climbing play ground for her and she walks on a leash twice a day. Is that a good thing or should we stop. It is a full body harness. I dont believe in the neck leash. She has a teddy in her cage and two blankets. When must she start eating solid food and what must I then feed her? I am already loving having her. My daughter gets excersize too.

·
8,113 Posts
Is she peeing and pooping normally? How is her breathing? 2-4 weeks old is when coccidea can occur. (Parasite in their digestive system). Can you take her temperature? It should be between 101.5*F and 103.5* F.

Vitamin B complex (an injectable available at any livestock supply store) is always good to give if an animal is "off". 1/2 cc (ml) injected under the skin. They pee out excess, so if you gave a tiny bit more, it won't hurt her.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She has emerald green feacal matter the size of tiny peas. Her urine is frequant and quit pungeant. I am worried about her getting cold. Her night time bed is a dog kennel made of bricks and a raised floor. Two blankets. Can I replace the blankets with a thick layer of straw?
The vet has checked her heart and lungs. He gave the all clear.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to adk. Why does Destiny always butt my leg? Especially me and not my daughter who is her handler? She will put her head against my head too.

·
8,113 Posts
Butting is an attention getter, usually they do that to the person that feeds them, but also to the alpha (you). They want more food, more petting, etc. Gently step away when she does it, so she doesn't think that is ok. Anything they do when they are little, if permitted to continue, will happen when full grown. It may be cute now, but later can be annoying and depending on the size, dangerous.

Don't push on a goats head, that teaches head butting. If the baby jumps on your daughter, have her sharply say no and step away. Your daughter has to be an alpha also, not an equal! Just like training a dog. You love them, but you have to train them so you have a pleasant critter, not an obnoxious brat!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,260 Posts
We have put up a climbing play ground for her and she walks on a leash twice a day. Is that a good thing or should we stop. It is a full body harness. I dont believe in the neck leash.
I noticed that no one answered this so I wanted to say that goats walking on a leash is a great thing for them to do. Starting at an early age is wonderful too because it teaches them that you can control them before they get any idea that maybe you can't. I wish my bucks had been leash trained before I got them. It's going to be a long road for them to figure it out now that they at two years old and a hundred pounds +.:rolleyes: So keep up the walking it will save you a lot of trouble!

You sound like you and your daughter are doing a wonderful job, so keep it up! Oh, and welcome to our forum!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow. I am so glad that both our instincts are good with regards baby Destiny.

1 - 20 of 303 Posts