'not so smart ???? on breeding"

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Oct 20, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ok...didn't want to title it "stupid ??"

Had Binky bred to Mavrick...was only a 24 mile trip, so thats not a big deal.....she stood for him and he did the deed a few times, I and Mavricks owner witnessed the "hunch" up from her and the satisfaction of him....she is now at my boys fenceline doing the "wanton doe actions"......would this be a reason to doubt that she settled or since it's normal for her to be in heat 2 days, the breeding took? In the 6 years I've been having my girls bred I've only ever had one doe do the "5 day heat" thing and they all settled with the first breeding.....should I consider her not settled or wait and see?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sorry that I do not know the answer to that - I just wish that I could get mine bred - LOL! I swear they are not cycling!

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So she was bred the other day?

I have a couple does who are in heat for two days at a time... or in Xcell's case three days. :roll:

If this is only her second day of heat and she was just bred the other day then I would say wait and see. If its been a couple days and she is back in heat then I would say she didn't take.

4. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Some does will act like they "want it" the whole way through their heat cycle. While others once they are bred they do not want anything to do with the buck. It really depends on the personality, or should I say the "'wants" of each doe individually... I have one doe that would accept a bucks offering anytime, anyplace... even when she is bred. She is a little "loose" if you know what I mean. :roll:

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She was just bred yesterday, noticed her coming into heat on Saturday and then yesterday was all swollen and pink...tring to mount the little does and so I took her to the buck...today she's being a hussy wanting my boys....maybe it's just "her"...I will be checking her progress in the next couple days though.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Liz......it might be a iffy thing...but you should know in 18 to 21 days after the breeding for sure........I usually leave the doe with the buck until she says.....No More" :) LOL.... If you can't leave her with the buck................I would maybe......get a pic and have someone do the pouch test................I think stacey or someone else ............that has that special gift of reading the pooch .......I am really.......illiterate :wink: LOL....... on the pooch thing so far......but one day.........I will learn.... :cool: ...I think it is a week or so after being bred they can tell ?.......someone correct me if I'm wrong........ :)

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, hopefully she goes back to being her sweet self and doesn't come back into heat.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

yes I hope so to............... :)