The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum - if I'm not then I'm sorry! I'm just kinda of frazzled right now.

I have a boer doe, this will be her second time kidding, due any day. I didn't have her ultrasounded so I don't have an exact due date but based on when I first noticed "goo" from the buck, it would put her due this coming Tuesday...

Anyway, for TWO DAYS NOW she'll paw the ground, get up/down, rub the fence, bite at her sides, I mean literally every single sign that kidding should be happening...but nothing.

She'll do all that for a bit, then stop and go eat or otherwise act normal. Well this morning at 1 am I thought I noticed very subtle, infrequent contractions. Her ligs are squishy but I can still feel them, she's been swollen this whole time, but ZERO mucus of any kind.

But what has me concerned now is that I palpated her just to see, and I was able to get in well past my wrist but then hit some sort of wall. I tend to be way too cautious though, so once I hit the wall I didn't go further/attempt much more. But she bore-down and when I pulled my hand out she started calling and wandering around looking for kids (I'm presuming that's why she was acting that way anyway).

I'm just at a loss as to how much longer to wait? Am I just being over anxious? It's her prolonged strange behavior, and now her being so open, that has me concerned.

I drenched her with CMPK as that's been one of my concerns with this group of does is that they didn't get started on alfalfa as early as when I usually start my pregnant does on alfalfa. (We kidded a group in Dec and then I delivered my 4th baby 3 weeks earlier than expected in January so this entire winter has been crazy).

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Should I wait and see? How much longer should I wait? UGH!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Some does show early labor signs earlier than others....trust me I've been sure my doe will be delivering any second since SUNDAY. :bonk:

As long as she's not acting in distress or anything I personally wouldn't worry too much. I've had my girl in the kidding stall since Sunday and we've gotten nothing.....(doh) Hopefully your girl and mine both decide to give up the hostages soon!

·
Registered
552 Posts
It sounds to me like she 's not really in labor yet. I don't think it is too unusual for those nesting behaviors to continue for several days with some does. Since you can still feel the ligs a little, I would think she still has some time. However if what you were seeing really was contractions, then I would be worried. I also have never "gone in" when a goat is not in active labor, so I have no idea what is normal there.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
It doesn’t sound like she is ready. When dilated it’s not the vagina that most are talking about it’s the cervix and if she is not dilated/ open, then your going to hit a wall about there.
I’m he pushing after you put your hand in there is a very normal thing for them to do even not in labor. Even with a vaginal prolapse just having it there will cause them to push. The looking for kids who knows. They are odd balls and probably being a second timer she knows enough to think there should be a kid there but still not experienced enough to REALLY know. Personally right now I would just watch her. If she keeps pushing, then go back in, if she gave it up pretty fast then just keep a eye on her. If the kid was only wrist deep she would be pushing pretty good even before you put your hand in there unless she had been in labor for awhile and was exhausted

·
Registered
275 Posts
Unless you're sure they are in labor doing internal checks is risky, every time you stick something in her body you risk introducing foreign bacteria which can lead to infection and create problems with them kidding or becoming pregnant again.

Leading up to kidding they will be uncomfortable, getting up and down and light contractions getting the babies into position. Only if they have 20-30 minutes of hard contractions with no progress (doe down and really pushing) would I go in and check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts