Not sure if my weathers have bloat..pic included.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Special ed, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Special ed

Special ed New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Could anyone help me determine if this is normal for our weathers? We have two weathers and two does but it only seems like the weathers get puffy like this and we are not sure if they are just putting on winter weight or if they have bloat. They are only fed grass hay, loose minerals, and browse if weather permits. A few animal crackers are given by hand every other day or so.

For awhile the boys had scours but we cut out the grain and now they are back to nice berries. That was about 3 weeks ago about the same time they started to get puffy.

Thanks for looking

Attached Files:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its called hay bellies -totally normal

3. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

That doesn't look bad from the picture. Is the stomach hard & feels like it's going to burst?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Looks fine.... :thumb:

do you have any free choice baking soda for them?

5. Special ed

Special ed New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Their belly's feel slightly-firm but not hard, when i pressed thier sides there is no sign of pain or discomfort.

Yes, we have free choice baking soda. I balled some up about a week ago and fed it to them to see if the puffiness would go down but there was no change.

Thanks for the quik reply's I feel a lot better now. :cool:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome......Sounds right.... :thumb:

If you see the left side... extended way upward ....a bit over the ribs ...then that is bloating..... from what I am seeing....he looks normal.... and has a hay belly..... :wink:

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep......looks normal.....I have 4 wethers and all 4 have bellies like that, sometimes worse after just munching down.