The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this little Boer X doe, Punkin, who I just am not sure if she is actually pregnant. She's little in stature as well as young- 11 mos or so, and the other two does that she runs with have kidded already, 19th & 22nd March. I wrote down that I observed breeding activity Oct 20 - Nov 15th... and estimation at best, as honestly, breeding was not my intention.

So, here are some pics of Punkin's girly bits, tiny udder, and body shape; she is shy about the camera but I caught her while eating. I think she is pregnant, considering that her nipples are longer recently, with a very small, flacid udder, her left side is generally wider than the right, as well as her body seeming much deeper in the last couple weeks, and her vulva is rather pouchy (technical term).

IMG_4075.JPG IMG_4076.JPG IMG_4080.JPG IMG_4081.JPG IMG_4084.JPG IMG_4085.JPG

I'm a little worried about her kidding as she is small, about 60# maybe (a bit more than a sack of grain), 24" tall and I am not sure what her breeding is aside from part/half Boer (neither is the person I bought her from) but she sure has a soft fluffy coat, if that is any hint as to the cross. She was bred by one of the KikoxSaanen X Savannah boys, and they are not real big guys yet, only about a year old as well.

I honestly think the whole bunch that I got were somewhat stunted, not well-managed. One of those "I coulda, shoulda, woulda" situations where walking away might have a better idea, but hey, so far I think we're doing ok.

Any thoughts on whether you think she might be kidding sometime in the next month? or just a hopeful Aunty?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have this little Boer X doe, Punkin, who I just am not sure if she is actually pregnant. She's little in stature as well as young- 11 mos or so, and the other two does that she runs with have kidded already, 19th & 22nd March. I wrote down that I observed breeding activity Oct 20 - Nov 15th... and estimation at best, as honestly, breeding was not my intention.

So, here are some pics of Punkin's girly bits, tiny udder, and body shape; she is shy about the camera but I caught her while eating. I think she is pregnant, considering that her nipples are longer recently, with a very small, flacid udder, her left side is generally wider than the right, as well as her body seeming much deeper in the last couple weeks, and her vulva is rather pouchy (technical term).

View attachment 177497 View attachment 177499 View attachment 177501 View attachment 177503 View attachment 177505 View attachment 177507

I'm a little worried about her kidding as she is small, about 60# maybe (a bit more than a sack of grain), 24" tall and I am not sure what her breeding is aside from part/half Boer (neither is the person I bought her from) but she sure has a soft fluffy coat, if that is any hint as to the cross. She was bred by one of the KikoxSaanen X Savannah boys, and they are not real big guys yet, only about a year old as well.

I honestly think the whole bunch that I got were somewhat stunted, not well-managed. One of those "I coulda, shoulda, woulda" situations where walking away might have a better idea, but hey, so far I think we're doing ok.

Any thoughts on whether you think she might be kidding sometime in the next month? or just a hopeful Aunty?
So by the nov 15th date, her latest possibly due date is April 8-12. Yes her teats might look longer but there's is no udders for being about a week out. Yes her vulva is swollen but that could be heat. And yes her sides my look bigger but that could just be that way she carries weight.
Personally, I would say no she's not. I had one tricking me last year that I honestly started to think wouldn't get her udders until just days before, she was bred but miscarried at about 8 weeks she had many of the same signs as yours though she was older likely 18month -2 years at her duedate. They can be difficult to tell, and a do hope because of her age that you got lucky and she's not but at this piont you only have a little over a week and then you can breath easy knowing the final out come

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did see that she had smudges/markings on her back when I knew the boys were in rut and breeding the other does- that is my only holdout, and that's what makes me worry. I am worried that she'll have one too large kid, and that I'll need to help (more than I have with the others). Feel that I ought to make a run to TSC to get a puller, just in case.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I did see that she had smudges/markings on her back when I knew the boys were in rut and breeding the other does- that is my only holdout, and that's what makes me worry. I am worried that she'll have one too large kid, and that I'll need to help (more than I have with the others). Feel that I ought to make a run to TSC to get a puller, just in case.
Certainly wouldn't be a bad thing to have on hand in any case.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My mind is hamster-wheeling with what-ifs...

If she is growth stunted and not part pygmy or dwarf (I don’t know how they are classified), would her kids potentially be bigger because of genetics, or tend to be smaller at birth because her body is smaller? What about their growth potential to adulthood- would it be affected by her having been stunted?

Not knowing truly why she is small makes me not want to breed her ever... too many unknowns

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
My guess is not bred. When you look at a goat for baby bulges, you get behind them and babies are on the right, happy rumens are on the left. So if she's bulging on the left she's got a happy tummy.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My mind is hamster-wheeling with what-ifs...

If she is growth stunted and not part pygmy or dwarf (I don't know how they are classified), would her kids potentially be bigger because of genetics, or tend to be smaller at birth because her body is smaller? What about their growth potential to adulthood- would it be affected by her having been stunted?

Not knowing truly why she is small makes me not want to breed her ever... too many unknowns
I can't really say what to expect if she is stunted, I have 1 that is small also. She is 18months commercial boer but I don't know her % though she should be mostly boer. I worry about the same thing because she is notably smaller then both my other two, though she has grown a butt more in the past 6 months. It will be something you will need to consider in breeding, make sure you pair her with a male that tends to produce small kids, and keep an eye on her when she dies go into labor. And our plan for our little girl is if she has trouble with her first kidding she will likely be sold off as a pet or to someone interested in breeding for some type of miniature cross so that we don't put her at risk .

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am feel pretty sure now that she is not bred. Her antics are off the wall, highy active, and not getting into the baby groove at all. I'm glad though, for reasons mentioned above. I won't breed her, and have someone nearby who would like a pet for the pasture.
She's definitey not thin under the fluff- I have had my hands all over her, and though not fat, she's doing ok on her body condition. Funny, I have seen a recent spurt of growth in her little horns. Must be doing something right.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. You've put my mind at rest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts