Not sure if this goes here... Heated Water Buckets?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by SterlingAcres, Jan 3, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Does anyone use these? I was complaining this morning that it's so cold, my barn water is freezing in under an hour. My parents just dropped off one of those heated dog buckets. It's 9 quarts.

Would you advise I screw it to the wall, hang it or put it on the ground? I'm concerned maybe the heater element would be a fire hazard in straw bedding.

Yay or nay? Please and thanks. :grouphug:

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have a couple but am only useing one for the bucks right now. I used them a lot last year and never had a issue. It only keeps the water just above freezing, not hot so there really isn't a fire issue. I've put them right on straw.

3. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

I would love love love to have a couple maybe like ten of those! I hate taking out water and one of stupid spiketts freeze. ergghh. :crazy:

4. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I use the 5 gallon heated water buckets in all pens. I put them on one of those cement patio blocks to keep them up & out of the hay. I also use one of those thermo cube outlets so they only heat when necessary...... which will be non-stop now until late March around here :(

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Thanks guys :) I'll put it on the ground for now. I can push most of the straw aside and sit it directly on the concrete floor.

6. Kat@Redbud

[email protected] New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    SW MO
    Would love to have a bunch of those too. Where did they get them from, we have 4 inches of snow and a projected temp. by the end of the week to -4 F, keeping the ice off the water would be sooo nice. :greengrin: [size]

7. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    I have two heated dog bowls in the chicken coops, one heater in the goat water tank and one running in the cow water tank. I put the dog bowls up on a concrete block. They do splash the water out and sometimes the water makes the bowl freeze to the block but I've not had any issues of overheating.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my mom got three of the 1 gallon green dog bowls. The goats go through like a gallon a day usually if its hot but they dotn seem to like how mom isnt spoiling them as much now :p

So far it has kept the water from freezing but with an inch of snow there was slush in it -- I keep my buckets outside.

9. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I started out with those heated dog bowls but they just don't hold up to the goats. The blue 5 gallon ones are only about $10 more and keep the water from freezing around here - we've gotten to -30 air temp. There might be ice crystals around the top when the barn door is open, but that's it. And it isn't quite so easy for the goaties to drop "suprises" in them.

10. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Agreed with MissMM--we definately get the cold temps & they come in really handy! Mine I think is originally intended for dogs. I think it holds about 2 quarts. It's been holding up fine for the 3 boys that use it. The only thing I don't like is that they have to be flat on the ground & tend to get pooped in every other day & need to be dumped out & cleaned continually. But it's still better than having to bust ice out of it--I've broken too many buckets that way!
    ****If you're bucket (heated or not) doesn't hang & has to be flat on the ground be very cautious if you have does that are due to kid. I've heard of kids being born into water buckets & actually drowning so do your best to prevent such a catastrophy!

11. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Have you ever taken your gloves off to scoop a few pieces of hay out of the water bucket, then forgot what happens when wet hands meet cold metal gate latch?

You'd think I'd learn after 5 winters of having goats. :doh:

12. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Kat, I'm not sure where my parents bought it. It's intended for a dog and it's an actual bucket, not a dish. It's slightly smaller than the one I was using for them previously. I'll run out in a second to see how it's doing. I haven't been out in about 1-2 hours.

Here's a link to amazon to the exact bucket I'm referring to:
    http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-2 ... B000F0DUOS

13. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I've done that twice today :p

14. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    these are the ones I use:

http://www.sheepman.com/ecommerce/ecomm ... r%20bucket

They go on sale frequently at the local fleet farm for $24.99. Well, local to me is about an hour away. The flat back has it sit nicely against the side of the pen and during the summer, the cord can be stowed away in a compartment in the bottom of the bucket.

Actually, all I did was tape an ad for it on the fridge w/a note for somebody to please buy me one of these for my birthday. I got 3 :)

15. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    We just got a 10 gallon one. It was on sale at our feed store, cheaper then 2 five gallons and definitely cheaper and better built that the dog water bowls. The bottom of the bucket does not get warm at all so we have it right in on top of the straw. We also have straw piled up around it. I think the straw would keep it a bit insulated better then just being "bare". I'm not sure about putting it on concrete, as concrete seems to hold the cold much more so.

16. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Well, I've checked on them 3-4 times now. I pushed the straw aside and sat the bucket on the concrete, then backfilled the straw around the bucket. I haven't had so much as an ice crystal inside the bucket. But you can tell where the doelings, rabbits and chickens have taken drinks. Where the water has ran down the side or onto the fencing, it's frozen solid.

I'll definitely be buying these for the new barn. I'll stick one in every stall. :leap:

17. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I have to use water heaters here. My 50 gallon buckets will freeze solid in just a couple of hours. I have one large trough for my boys, girls, and my horses. Each one has a submerged de-cer/heater that only comes on when the water is too cold. I won't go another winter without de-icers :)

Though, I think if I ever need to replace these - the horse one I will for sure as they just beat it up like crazy - I would get these:
    http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... f_id=16953

It's 16 gallons and the heating element is hidden from the animals just like your doggy dish only bigger. I'd have to put a block or something in front so the goats could reach though!!

18. Steph

Steph Senior Member

May 7, 2009
    PA
    I have 5 so all areas are covered! Hubby put them on concrete blocks and uses double ended dog clips to clip them to a fencing staple. That way the buckets are above butt level and the goats can't knock them over. The goats use the edge of the block to step up to drink.