The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm looking for another milking goat. Not exactly sure what kind of goat is best for milking. What do y'alll have? Right now I have a Nubian, I know they are milking goats, or can be.

·
Registered
485 Posts
There's a lot of factors that go into breed. Certain breeds have different things they are known for in their milk. One thing you'll likely want to do is try to get similar sized goats and you'll want another one with horns since your current one has horns (based on the photo).

Personally I do not have milking goats but I LOVE Lamanchas and they would be the choice I had if I did get into it. From what I have heard they are great milkers but my honest reason would be because they're just so freaking cute! :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have Nubians so I can only speak for that breed. They make less milk than the other standard size breeds but at their peak our girls gave just under a gallon a day per goat.

What I love about Nubians:
-Their milk tastes awesome, ours have a slightly sweet milk that does not taste goaty at all.
-They have great personalities and the goats we raised as bottle babies are more like oversized hooved dogs, I just love them!
-Our one Nubian gives such rich milk that we have trouble straining it at times. (So they have very high butterfat milk).

Dislikes about Nubians:
-Personally I love their loudness but I can see this being on some people's list of negatives for the breed.
- Maybe this is just my goats and my limited experience, but they seem to be more prone to parasites, not as resistant as other breeds perhaps.

·
Fair-Haven
4,614 Posts
I also have Nubians - they have the highest butterfat content, after Nigerian Dwarfs. Mine produce over a gallon, but they come from very high producing lines. Mine aren't loud at all - except for Fiona :heehee: Saneens typically produce the greatest quantity. Each breed has pros/cons - look at breed description on adga.org to get a feel for the different breeds. Whatever you get,look at dam's udder to see if she have good attachments and teat size. Disease tested herd is a must for me as well. If you get a Nubian, ask about the G6S status of sire/dam if known. Production and taste will largely depend on breeding, what she is eating and how much, and keeping up with quality minerals. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have Nubians so I can only speak for that breed. They make less milk than the other standard size breeds but at their peak our girls gave just under a gallon a day per goat.

What I love about Nubians:
-Their milk tastes awesome, ours have a slightly sweet milk that does not taste goaty at all.
-They have great personalities and the goats we raised as bottle babies are more like oversized hooved dogs, I just love them!
-Our one Nubian gives such rich milk that we have trouble straining it at times. (So they have very high butterfat milk).

Dislikes about Nubians:
-Personally I love their loudness but I can see this being on some people's list of negatives for the breed.
- Maybe this is just my goats and my limited experience, but they seem to be more prone to parasites, not as resistant as other breeds perhaps.
Yes I agree! they are very loud!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also have Nubians - they have the highest butterfat content, after Nigerian Dwarfs. Mine produce over a gallon, but they come from very high producing lines. Mine aren't loud at all - except for Fiona :heehee: Saneens typically produce the greatest quantity. Each breed has pros/cons - look at breed description on adga.org to get a feel for the different breeds. Whatever you get,look at dam's udder to see if she have good attachments and teat size. Disease tested herd is a must for me as well. If you get a Nubian, ask about the G6S status of sire/dam if known. Production and taste will largely depend on breeding, what she is eating and how much, and keeping up with quality minerals. Hope this helps.
Yes It does help! Thank you!

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,481 Posts
It really depends on what you want to do.

I have Nubians and mini-Nubians. I got them based on the higher butterfat and their look. I love the extreme noses and long ears. Our Nubians milk over a gallon a day, the minis just under or right at a gallon. (The minis also eat less for about the same milk) The minis have higher butterfat being combined with the Nigerian. Ours are quiet and are seriously like big babies. I love them and wouldn't trade them for any other breed, they're my favorites. My kids can easy lead them around despite the size.

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
It really depends on what you want to do.

I have Nubians and mini-Nubians. I got them based on the higher butterfat and their look. I love the extreme noses and long ears. Our Nubians milk over a gallon a day, the minis just under or right at a gallon. (The minis also eat less for about the same milk) The minis have higher butterfat being combined with the Nigerian. Ours are quiet and are seriously like big babies. I love them and wouldn't trade them for any other breed, they're my favorites. My kids can easy lead them around despite the size.
You got quiet minis?!?!?!!!! Lol! We have two mini bucks and a mini doe..... those monsters are loud and proud when they think they are gonna starve to death. Hahahah. Of a mornin and evenin and when we walk or talk near them. So basically any time. And dora esp now that she is hangry all the time cause she is due to kid this week. But we do love them.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,481 Posts
You got quiet minis?!?!?!!!! Lol! We have two mini bucks and a mini doe..... those monsters are loud and proud when they think they are gonna starve to death. Hahahah. Of a mornin and evenin and when we walk or talk near them. So basically any time. And dora esp now that she is hangry all the time cause she is due to kid this week. But we do love them.
LOL. Well, we have 1 that is loud, he has gotten better though. One of the mini-bucks. He has to make noise when he sees someone, everyone else is good though LOL. I mean they will make noise at feeding time, but they aren't loud. Our sheep though...we have one that is LOUD anytime she sees someone lol

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
LOL. Well, we have 1 that is loud, he has gotten better though. One of the mini-bucks. He has to make noise when he sees someone, everyone else is good though LOL. I mean they will make noise at feeding time, but they aren't loud. Our sheep though...we have one that is LOUD anytime she sees someone lol
Yep the sheep... that is my dora.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Here is a different POV. To have milk, you must breed and have kids. To have kids responsibly you must think about market (what you will do with all your kids)
So... What sells well in your area?

You'll need access to a buck. What bucks are available to borrow in your area?

I'm not saying your personal wants and loves don't matter, they do. But it also matters what you can sell, and what you can use.

Remember this. All goats have edible meat, even Nigerian Dwarves. All goats have potable milk, even Boers. There is no "Best" breed or cross. There is only "Best for YOU" breed or cross.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Here is a different POV. To have milk, you must breed and have kids. To have kids responsibly you must think about market (what you will do with all your kids)
So... What sells well in your area?

You'll need access to a buck. What bucks are available to borrow in your area?

I'm not saying your personal wants and loves don't matter, they do. But it also matters what you can sell, and what you can use.

Remember this. All goats have edible meat, even Nigerian Dwarves. All goats have potable milk, even Boers. There is no "Best" breed or cross. There is only "Best for YOU" breed or cross.
I think this is really a good point! Nigerians for example here are EVERYWHERE. So although it is very easy to find a buck it seems people really struggle to sell the babies, especially if they're bucks or wethers. So I guess if you consider it this way you want to find something you can find a buck for but also something that you can sell.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I personally love my Alpine/Nubian crosses. It's a great combination. But it can be harder to sell crossbred does. Mine are all registered "Experimental" but it's still not as straightforward as finding homes for purebreds. On the plus side, the kids are often very flashy and color is a good selling point.

My apologies to all you Nigie lovers, but I never recommend that breed to people who actually want milk. The Nigies are cute, and yes they have high butterfat, but unless you're willing to pay big $$ for fancy milk lines, you're better off with a full-sized dairy breed. Everyone I know who got into Nigerians for the milk ended up buying milk from me because their does couldn't give more than a few cups a day, and all of them dried up after a short lactation. I like goats that can milk through for at least 18 months so I can have a year-round milk supply and not have to breed every year. I also like the larger teats. Nigerians' little teats are harder to milk, and since I milk by hand every day I want it to be an easy, fast job.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Yes, to sell the kids - or eat them, as I preferred to do, keeping control over how they were treated. Remember the Galapago Lesson!

My first thought was, as always otherwise when this question comes up, to have a go for "our traditional, endangered, Swedish, rural breeds, that are adapted to our northern circumstances!" Until I remembered which forum I am on right now, and saw your "Texas" ... Swedish rural goats in Texas, oh, they would sweat to death!

Just like the poor Nigerian Dwarfs shiver from cold in the northern Swedish winter ... Brrr! But, take this principle: Look at your circumstances, and get a goat that will thrive in exactly your place! Which is more important for you - lots of tasty milk, or lots of nice kisses when you do your milking? There are differences between breeds, but also between individuals.

·
8,067 Posts
Trollmor is so correct. Yo want a goat you like, that will thrive in your climate and you have a market for any you need or want to get rid of. Having he best bloodlines in a goat doesnt matter if you don't like that animal. (It happens!). Then goats aren't fun anymore.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Don't overlook the Lamanchas! They are truly wonderful goats. We have Nigerians, Lamanchas, Nubians, & Mini Lamanchas. We also have Kiko meat goats but they are on lease. We had a few Mini Nubians but sold them.

The Nigerians and Kikos are by far the most hardy.
The Nubians are sweet but are complete wimps! LOL I LOVE our select few, but they are not my favorite breed. Our of all the breeds we have, they are the least hardy and a bit harder to manage (In our experience). But they are sweet goats! Some are quite, others scream. We have one that screams over anything. She see's you- she screams. She doesn't see you- she screams. She's hungry- she screams. She's not hungry- screams. She's bored- scream. She's having fun- scream. She's happy- scream. She's sad- scream. She screams. All. the. time.
Now it is actually endearing, but many would be annoyed by it. Our other Nubians (same line) don't make a peep.

The Lamanchas- truly the sweetest goat. Something about them just melt me. All our goats are sweet, but nothing compares to the Lamancha! Our Minis are much like the PB lamanchas.

We did have a 75% Alpine doe. My oh my, Alpines are a handful and are very sensitive creatures.

I think you should visit some farms and see what fits you. So many come to our farm looking at the other breeds, and never considered a Lamancha because of the "no ear" look. Over time, they fall in LOVE with the Lamanchas and end up getting a few LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts