The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have raised hundreds of chicks and I have not had many problems. But, we have a 6 week old chick that is about half the size if its siblings and still has most of its fluff and very few feathers. I see it eating and drinking and there is not evidence that it has been severely picked on. What could be wrong? A problem inside? Will it ever grow? We have separated it now into its own coop. Not sure what to do. There is no malformation of its beak. Any suggestions or ideas?

·
Registered
214 Posts
might just be a dwarf I have a broiler chick that has baby feather still all the other ones will be going to freezer camp this week end not her this is a pic from two weeks ago all are the same age

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have barred rocks and Wyandotte. From her 4 eggs came one black peep and 3 yellow. The black is a barred rock and 2 of the yellow ones have white feathers. Not sure why when the hen, Lacey, is only exposed to one rooster, a barred rock.

·
Registered
214 Posts
They are jumbo cornish cross I asked about the size she was when I went to pick up feed. They said it wasn't the first time they saw that it happens once in a while. So she will be a pet while she is alive
Hubby said to butcher her to but she is still small for a cornish hen. my grandson says that's his baby chick

·
Registered
30,611 Posts
how does her poop look? cocci can stunt the growth as well..

·
2,203 Posts
Genetics really come into play as well. There are minor deformities that come with any animal that may arise, as well as feather color is completely genetic. White is a pretty common color, especially because barred rock are white underlay.

Sometimes chicks get failure to thrive, just like every other creature and permanently become stunted. Kinda one of those survival of the fittest deals.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure about the poop. I will look later. Never had a cocci problem yet but there us always a first time.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had a cockerel who was half the size the other 3 cockerels and 2 pullets until he hit about 14-16 weeks old. He was still smaller than the rest when he became dinner...I think his growth was just slow compared to the rest. There wasn't anything really wrong with him (no cocci, no mites, fed like everyone else). Yours just might be a late bloomer!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just saw it poop. All is normal. Now to see if being separate from the rest will help it grow. Never had a late bloomer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts