The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last doe of the year kidded yesterday with twins, a huge buck and a large doe. Pretty colors, nice looking kids. Mom is purebred Lamancha, sire in my former Nubian. She just wouldn't settle to the Lamancha buck so I tried it with the Nubian.

Doeling is bottle fed and in the house for the next few days. Buckling is with mom. Oddest thing. Last night when I did after work chores, the buckling had watery, brownish tan scours, nothing like normal colostrum or meconium. It just poured out of him like water. Moms colostrum looked normal, thick and yellow. I gave him a dose of Spectoguard and he seemed fine this morning. Not sure what happened in the 12 hours from birth until I came home, but I've never seen anything like that before. My son kept checking on him all evening while I was at work, making sure he was eating (he was). Rather peculiar!

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Poor guy was only 9 hours old when I got home and saw the scours, but judging form what was already dried on his legs, it had been going on for at least 2 hours or better. Stall was clean, udder/teats disinfected, all my normal prekidding stuff done. It really didn't fit what ecoli scours looks like either. I was afraid that mom had mastitis, but no, everything is normal on her end. He didn't act sickly, was eating with gusto and awkwardly jumping around. Sister is fine.

Reactions: ksalvagno

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Poor guy was only 9 hours old when I got home and saw the scours, but judging form what was already dried on his legs, it had been going on for at least 2 hours or better. Stall was clean, udder/teats disinfected, all my normal prekidding stuff done. It really didn't fit what ecoli scours looks like either. I was afraid that mom had mastitis, but no, everything is normal on her end. He didn't act sickly, was eating with gusto and awkwardly jumping around. Sister is fine.
Did you take his rectal temperature?

·
8,163 Posts
When he was born, was he all yellow and the sack full of meconium? I had a kid born that had the same type of poop the first 12 hrs. He must have swallowed his fecal material during a prolonged labor period. (Sister was sideways, took awhile to get her out, then get him out. his head was back.).

I hope he is better now. Mine is fine and a month old.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
How is mama's milk, does it look normal?

If she had really thick and good rich colostrum, it can cause a little bit of scouring. As time goes by, it should subside.
If the kid is acting OK otherwise and mama's milk is good.
I would just keep an eye on it. And maybe give electrolytes, if still scouring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts