The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month ago I bought a Nubian buckling. He is 2-3 months old. He was a little skinny when I got him, but has been doing just fine. These last couple days however he's been getting skinnier and has been hunched with his tail down. 2 days ago I found him wrapped in sticker bushes laying completely on his side. It was weird because he was not struggling or calling out, just laying there. I then wormed him and moved him into a different pen (that way the other goats couldn't pick on him). I cut some blackberry bushes down and put them in a pile for him to make it easier for him to eat.

Yesterday he had diarrhea, and I found him on his side again 2 times. My mom and I made an electrolyte drink for him (baking soda, olive oil, sugar, and salt) and gave it to him a couple times. He loved it and drank some of it. We also gave him the vitamin k shot.

Today he is almost exactly the same as yesterday. Every 30 minutes I've been giving him a little more of the electrolyte drink. I even gave him some goat milk. He seems a little skinnier today, but is still foraging around for food.
IMG_3845.JPG
IMG_3846.JPG
IMG_3836.JPG

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Do you have any activated charcoal? Sounds like toxins could be another possibility...

Reactions: Trollmor

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Great. Poisons can shut down organs, so I'm just offering another idea.

Reactions: happybleats

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
I would collect a fecal, Get the fecal in ASAP to see what he is dealing with but I would not wait to deworm him. I would dose him with a broad spectrum dewormer right after collecting a fecal.
Hows his Famacha? He may need anemia support.
I would also give Tummy Tamer ( recipe below) 3-4 times a day..you can blend double or triple batch with a few garlic cloves until smooth. and dose 3-4 times a day. B complex to support his system. Keep plenty of browse foods in front of him. Penning him up will help decrease his movement and reserve energy to eat. If he is not eating enough, make smoothies with dark greens such as kelp, add carrot and celery and use a drencher to feed.
Most important after addressing worm load and anemia is food, calories to rebuild red blood cells.

anemic treatment
Red Cell 6 cc per 100 pounds OR injectable pig iron, 1 cc per 25# sub Q Once a day for a week then once a week until color improves
B 12 , 1 cc per 25# OT B complex PLUS which has more 12 in it. Once a day
30 cc of a ACV/Water mix once a day

Tummy tamer
1 teaspoon each Ginger, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, ACV and Molasses in enough water to drench ( 20-30 cc)

When you get him to the vet, IV fluids may not be a bad idea.

Best wishes

·
Registered
932 Posts
He needs a vet and what everyone else said with checking his FAMACHA, do a whole work up if you have to wait to get in to a vet or wait for a call back. Seeing him made me cringe and spew a few choice words in sympathy, poor little man.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
He may have anemia, so be careful what wormer you use,
YES, thank you Pam.
Never give a pour on orally in anemic goats, (ever IMO) and don't give an injectable dewormer Orally when anemic. Choose a dewormer that is a little less aggressive
then you can use a bigger gun dewormer in boosters.
Lighter dewormers like Valbazen, Cydectin sheep drench, Ivomec for first treatment then
Bigger guns for booster may be Quest, Prohibit..

Reactions: mariarose

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay the wormer I typically use is Safeguard, but I'll try to find some of the wormers you have listed :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, so my parents said we can't afford to have a vet come out to check on him because we just had to pay for a huge horse vet bill. However, today he does look a little better. He is eating a lot more and is putting on more weight. His poops are getting more solid and I have seen him pee 3 time so far today.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
... (thinking hard)...
What trees are around? Leaves and the twigs the leaves are attached to can be very good medicine/food. It can really help.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts