Not sure where this would go :x Breeding/Business

Discussion in 'Business Buzz' started by SterlingAcres, Jan 5, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Like I said, I have no idea where this goes.

Since we are building a new large barn this spring, I've already spoke to my husband and family members about starting a small goat business. I'm not really interested in showing, but I'd love to improve on some milking lines. My plan is to buy a registered buckling for my birthday in March. Now, the two doelings that I have are apparently ND x Pygmy crosses. If I breed them to a full blooded ND buck, how many generations down do I wait to register them as full blood or at least percentages?

I've just recently decided this, by the way. I know I've contacted a few people about a cheap buckling, but I might as well go for the gold if I want a business, right? I'll be collecting from as many herds as possible.

So, please and thanks and any advice is appreciated :)

Also - unrelated, but another question I have. I plan to vaccinate the herd myself since I do our pets already. Who exactly tests for CAE, CL and Johnes? Is that a vet or an agricultural thing? Excuse my ignorance. We're never too old to learn new things.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    unfortunatly with the nigerian dwarf breed you can not breed up to purebred status. you can only registere kids who came from registered parents.

So even if you purchase a registered buck any kids from your current does or their kids or even their kids couldnt be registered.

Its a sad situatuation for those with mix breeds but its how they are keeping the nigerian dwarf breed pure without any pygmy blood mixed in.

When you say vaccinated do you mean for CD/T?

You will find varrying thoughts on the testing of CAE, CL and Johnes. 2009 was the first year in 13 years of raising goats that I tested for anything. All my goats are negative for all 3.

Testing for CAE, CL and Johnes is personal preference but also can help with selling registered kids to others who show. They pay a lot of money for their goats, show fees, upkeep and for testing and they wont purchase a goat who has unknown results for those tests. Its just a higher selling point now for me. I dont plant to bring anymore goats in so from now on my goats will just be tested for CAE yearly.

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    As far as vaccinations, yes I was referring to CD/T. Although I've read it's not required? I simply meant I would be solely responsible for worming, hoof trimming, hair cuts, disbudding, castrating and/or other health problems that may occur - unless it's an emergency, then my vet would be contacted. Although that's basically what everyone does with their pets anyway, so it's no big deal.

That sucks that I can't register my doelings kids, but it's not the end of the world. They won't be the only does I have, so I'll just have to offer some unregistered counterparts as well as purebreds. These doelings did come with papers, but I'm not in possession of them considering I did not pick them up personally. I couldn't tell you what's on them, probably just a receipt of purchase and/or clearance validation for any diseases I'm assuming.

As far as personal preference, I'd want to test my herd. I'd also only want to purchase from other's who test their herds as well. I've had my fair share of bringing home sick animals and I definitely don't want to spread anything around, whether accidental or not. I know they can still contract diseases from outside sources, but it would give me peace of mind knowing they'd already been tested, you know? That being said, would the vet test for that or someone else I'd need to contact?

Please and thanks :hug:

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    pet only is a good business - I did that for a couple years :thumb:

as to buying from tested only herds -- let me know when you want to buy I can direct you to some I know here in NJ and to a lady in PA who bought from me and Ashley (RunAround) this past fall.

as to testing -- I do my testing through biotracking (CAE only) or WADDL (washington state)

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Thank you for all the help Stacey :) If you could email any breeders you know of around us, that'd be very much appreciated! [email protected]

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    workign on an email now :)

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Excellent! Thank you very much. I'm looking fwd to the birth announcement! :kidblue:

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    always happy to help.

Hope either girl has a buckling that is of your color choice :D