not sure which end is up - good news page4

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Jan 7, 2011.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I've been here at work crying my eyeballs out and scaring my poor coworker.

Today my doe Sweet Pea came back into heat AGAIN and then I saw Sadie flagging and I see discharge. Then I looked at Ziva and she has a discharge too.

That's ALL my does I had bred. I devistated!! Why you ask?

Well breeding now (even if possible) means I miss all the major shows. And I sold my buck so I can't get them bred. If I borrow a buck there is no guarentee my picky does will allow him to breed them. Plus its snowing and I can't drive my truck in the snow!!

I'm trying to keep it together but I'm loosing it. WHY?? I don't understand!

If I don't have babies to sell I can't afford the goats. If I can't afford them then I have to sell them. I just bought a new truck to be able to go to shows and then spent another 1,000.00 in new fencing. Now it looks all for naught. :(

I made 8,000 last year - and this year looks no better, I COUNT on the sales of kids to pay for the goats hay etc. I don't know what I'm going to do!!!

I'm trying to get an untra sound done but so far my vet doesn't have one and the other vet hasn't called me back.

I'm hoping against hope that at least Ziva is bred and maybe maybe Sadie is too but its doubtful :( :cry:

2. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    Re: not sure which end is up

...ouch....even one miss hurts

3. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD

Oh no! Keeping fingers crossed for you that some are bred and just toying with you. Try not to let it keep you down too much (I know easier said than done). Hopefully things work out for you :grouphug:

4. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD

D: This year has been sheer heck for people getting does settled, it seems. I keep hearing stories about them going back into heat. It will work out somehow, have faith!! Let us know if any of us "neighbors" can help at all! :grouphug:

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I need this snow to stop and I need ziva and Sadie to be bred!! I can't stop crying over this!

I had bad dreams last night (we lost the house and that meant I lost my barn etc) and then woke up to an email this morning from someone telling me how I was breeding my goats all wrong they knew what my problem is etc. The thing is I do everything he said and I have been breeding successfully for 14 years!! Ugh

Why do people I don't even know stick their nose where it doesn't belong!

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I am so sorry Stacey, I hope they other girls are still preggo, and I understand your worries. :hug:

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

The thing is their pooch (besides Sweet Pea) are say preggo and they would be 50-60 days along! That's why I want the ultra sound. If not I'm making a brother or my mom hold them so I can do blood draws!!!

8. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine

First and foremost I hope your girls are pregnant.

If worst came to worst and none are bred, could you trade your labor for hay? Now I believe you already work 3 jobs, but I thought maybe your brothers could help you work for the hay, and you could catch up with them later as far as compensation. I'm sure they have busy lives, or may not even be available, but I find family is always so willing to help in many cases. Just trying to brainstorm as a just in case.

Ultimately, keep your chin up as best you can, until you get ultrasound or blood test results. I know, sometimes easier said than done. I hope it helps knowing others care and are thinking of you as you make your way through this stressful time.

:hug: :pray: :hug: :pray:

9. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri

I feel your pain and frustration. The first buck we had here had the simple task of getting 5 doe's bred. We sold him after we thought he had done his job (No more doe's were coming into heat) About a month later a doe we watched him breed came back into heat, there we were no buck and a doe that needed to be bred. Thankfully a friend offered to let us breed her to her finished champion. :leap:

Within another month two more doe's came into heat. So out of 5 doe's he managed to settle 2 ( I hope :pray: )

We bought two more bucks and have them bred now (Again I think so/ hope). I was hopeing to get them all kidded out by the end of february now we have April and May due dates for the majority.

I would wait on the blood or ultra sound for the ones with discharge, cause I've got a couple that have had a little bit of discharge since breeding, but have never come back into heat. Just gotta try to keep it together :hug:

I'de go ahead and try to find a way to get those doe's in heat bred though, cause even if you miss out on shows you'll at least have a shot at salvaging your kid crop later in the year. :eek:hlala: :lovey: :pray:

10. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon

Oh Stacey, I'm so sorry... things are SO tough right now... for everyone... but adding in the goats too... that's a really tough blow. It just stinks! And it's probably extra hard when things are going roller coaster speed with all the up's & down's. Searching for a truck, buying the truck, thinking the girls are preggo... now this.... Ugh!
    Crossing my fingers for you that you can get an ultrasound done for your girls. The ultrasounds are SO wonderful... so uplifting to see those little babies in there swimming around. You could use a good strong dose of that! Prayers sent your way that soon you can and your girls are just giving you a bad time...keeping you on your toe's! :pray:

We're all here for you. :grouphug:

11. Dunfactor

Dunfactor New Member

Dec 10, 2009

Stacey,

Oh no. That is horrible. :grouphug: :hug: I am praying that at least Ziva and Sadie really are pregnant for you and just have a bit of discharge or a false heat. Especially since they have prego looking pooches.

If not, I pray that you will be able to figure something out so that you don't have to sell your goats. I cannot imagine having to do that. :-(

If they do turn up open, would it work out to have them bred again if you can borrow a buck? You might still miss out on the shows this year but hopefully would have the kids to sell to support your herd? Even later kids to sell sounds better to me then the alternative of selling your herd.

Tracy :hug:

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I would rather at least save the goats so yeah I will be trying to get them bred. Its just so heart breaking. This is what I live my life for - everything about my life revolves around the goats.

Thank you all for the support I think the snow will end by the time I get out of work and I'm going straight to pick up my doe Sweet Pea, hoping she likes this buck (this is the doe who decides who she will allow to breed her >( )

Then the other two I will blood test and hope for good results by this time next week. If not I will begg my friend to allow the girls to stay a month with her buck.

13. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010

Hi Stacy,
    sorry about your doe's but funny, well not funny at all is I'm having the same problem here, and I don't have a job besides the goats, because I have some medical problems. And I even held some doe's back on breeding because I wanted them bred a little later for the shows.
    I thought it was just me having this problem this year, I have about 15 goats to be bred and I think I have maybe 4 bred, they come into heat, I bred them and then they come back into heat, its been extremely frustrating, and I am using several different bucks young and older, and same with the doe's.
    Wish I could help,
    my next step here is trying to flush the doe's to help with fertility.. and trying extra minerals.
    Let me know if you find something that helps. I've never had this problem before either.

14. Dunfactor

Dunfactor New Member

Dec 10, 2009

Stacey,

:hug: I can completely relate to your life revolving around your goats. Lol, my life revolves around my goats and horses too. :wink: I definately feel for you.

I have my fingers crossed that the snow slows down for you and that Sweet Pea decides that she likes the buck. If she is acting like she will not accept him and you are sure she really is in heat, can you hold her for the buck to breed her? It might sound rude but could get her bred.

I come from a horse back ground though and with the horses, sometimes you need to restrain the mare for safety. Especially when covering a mare with a very young foal. I had to breed an outside maiden mare this year who was showing strong heat to my stallion when teased but would get nervous and kick out when he would go to mount. Breeding hobbles took care of that for the safety of both myself and my stallion.

I am sending preggers with multiples vibes for your other two does!

Tracy :hug:

15. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Do the blood draws unless you find a vet that is really good with ultrasounds. I had 4 or 5 girls ultrasounded two years ago because my buck escaped & was with the girls one day while I was on vacation in Florida. My father-in-law figured it was fine since the girls were all nursing their kids which were all about 5 or 6 weeks old at the time. I was so upset that he thought it was fine & I was going to end up with winter kids--which there was no way I was going to milk in the winter meaning that the girls wouldn't have udders for the show season etc etc! Anyhow, I had the ultrasound done & they said 2 of the girls were pregnant---wrong, all of that worry for nothing..none of them were really pregnant!
    I would be upset too if I were in your shoes. Breeding this month would mean June kids that wouldn't be weaned until August--it's a lot harder in my area to sell anything for a good price unless it's spring time. Everyone seems to be looking for deals closer to autumn. Plus, there's no way those kids would be ready to breed until next year which could be another turn off for some breeders.
    Let's hope that you are mistaken...at least one of them had to have gotten bred! That would be a little odd for all 3 of them not to have taken! Did you see the breedings happen when you had your buck?
    Keep us up-dated!!

16. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009

I'm so sorry Stacey. Maybe Sweet Pea will breed easily this time, and the other two are really pregnant. I sure hope so. I have no doubt that you will find a way to handle this.

Jan

17. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio

Oh im so sorry Stacey that really stinks. I hope they turn out pregnant. I would feel loss without my goats to. I also have to sell some to make money to be able to keep them so I understand that. Good luck.

18. VickiH

VickiH New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Ohio

I hope everything works out for you :pray:

19. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009

@crazyacre - I just clicked on your website, your goats are gorgeous!!

@Stacey - I am so sorry to hear that this is happening. I hope that your girls are actually pregnant. I would hold them for you, but it is a very long drive. I've been thinking, could you lease your girls out for landscaping services in the summer to save on feed costs? I know that it would have its own set of problems, but it might take some of the feeding costs off your shoulders. Possibly you could make a little money off of it too. It's probably a bad idea, but just brainstorming here.

I hope things look up for you very soon.

20. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio

@pelicanacresMN I think the reason they are so easy to sell in the spring is cause people get their taxes and have some extra spending cash to be able to purchase goats they wouldnt normally have the money to purchase. I know thats what I do lol. I had july kids last year and they where hard to sell. But I hope Stacey your other two are bred and you only have to worry bout sp.