Not tame doe not feeding her kid

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Nubiansrus1, May 10, 2010.

1. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    I had taken in some not so friendly la mancha about a year ago, they were about 6 month old. Most have came around, one of the does never really fully came around. I can pet her a bit at times. I bred her this year and she had a little buckling yesterday. Well when I came to check on him she wasnt having anything to do with him, had to look at back ends just to find out whos kid he was [have four does left to kid] Anyways... found out it was her, and he didnt look like hed nursed though she did clean him off. She seems to liking being a mom but doesnt let him nurse, everytime he tries he gets kicked away. We tried holding her and letting the kid nurse and she fights us hard. Cant milk her out and feed the kid... she wont let us. I hate to take the kid away because she seems to "like" him but just not know she needs to feed him and were to feed him. We seperated tehem from the herd and they seem nicely bonded now, but still she wont let him eat. Well today I physically held her down and let him drink because I knew he needed too. I mean I laid on her and held her down... it was the only way. I didnt actually put my weight on her but I dont really like doing it. I could bottle feed him but I kind of wanna kteach her to feed him... just not at the expense of his life. Tying her doesnt work, she freaks. Ive noticed she hates her udder being touched so Ive been handling it to get her used to it. But what should i do about her buckling? Should I go as far as to hold her down? Or should I just bottle feed him another does milk? I have a few does that just weaned kids. But if I do that wont the mom not take him in anymore?

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Even though the doe is not so friendly that baby needs to eat. IF you can catch her feel her udder to see if its a bit overfilled. This will cause pain when the kid tries to latch on and she will attempt to remove the cause of the pain. Milk her out a bit to relieve the pressure so its not so painful. She may be more accommodating when the kid tries to nurse. Otherwise you may need to bottle him. I would give him a bottle right now so he doesn't get weak from lack of food. I also wouldn't pull the kid since she isn't ecxactly rejecting him. She may come around and let him feed. It would be best if you milk mama and feed the kid her milk so her scents stay in his system, rather than giving another does milk.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...but also... I would try ...to get her into a small pen ..and that way ..you will be able to catch her easier... go out ...every couple of hours.......so you can help with feeding the baby....Feel the kids belly to make sure he is eating enough...if not supplement... keep her penned up... until you see her.. letting him nurse...Tie her up anyway...she has to learn to be tied.... you may have to tie up ..1 back leg ...or have someone hold it up...feed her a favorite grain... to calm her... talk to her gently ...make sure ..you put a collar on her... so it is less stress on her throat... keep working with her and the baby ...she will learn.....but it may take some time........Congrats on the new baby... :thumb: :greengrin:

4. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Succes... or so far its seems. He never got to the point of being too weak but his belly was empty I could tell. So yesterday I held her down and let the buckling eat, well the next time I tried with her standing and had to hold up her front leg so she wouldnt kick with the back, I was alone so I couldnt hold the back leg. The buckling luckily got the idea about feeding from last time and was eager to grab on.... he finally got a really good meal. Checked on him last night and he had a nice full belly, so I think shes feeding him now. His belly has stayed full and he looked much happier/playful. Thanks for the advice.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :leap: :cool: :thumb: :greengrin:
    Alright~! great news... it does sound like ...she is being a good momma now....just check the babies tummy periodically.. to make sure...congrats.... :hug: