The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to just keep my doelings with my two does and let them wean the kids themselves as long as they keep their weight up. This is the first time I have done this, so not sure what to expect. Anyone that does this, how long do you usually find that the kids still nurse? At what point will the doe just start drying up on her own?
The one doe Dixie has 2 month old kids on her, shes a bit thin and would be the only one I'd worry about. She has put on weight though since kidding, she was very very thin after kidding due to bad toxemia. My other doe Maggie has 4 month old kids on her, but she seems to be perfectly fine, a little it on the chubby side. She still feeds her kids whenever they want, but it seems like they are nursing less often on their own.

This is Maggie and one of her 4 month old doeling. I am very very pleased with Maggie, she raised both doelings on only half an udder (had mastitis in the other half this year), they certainly have not lagged behind in growth as I thought they might.

The rest of my "herd". Dixie is in back with her two kids.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I may just end up weaning them all once Dixie's hit 3 months old, I'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes, they will keep on nursing! I have a doe that's still nursing if I let her with her momma and she's 2 years old! Dead serious. Thankfully somebody's coming to buy the momma Wednesday.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yikes! Looks like I might be weaning them after all lol! I'd rather do it while I have separate fields then wait till we move and only have the one field to use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts