'Nother Pooch Test

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by firelight27, Oct 2, 2009.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    So, long story short, I decided to take everyone's advice and not re-breed Spirit so soon. However, we recently moved, and although I had them separated at my father's house, Dante got into the field with her for about a week (my father didn't feel it necessary to let me know he escaped.) This was the middle of the first week of September. Just wondering if she is bred. She'd be a little under a month to a month along.

[​IMG]

They are separated again, but she can approach his fence (with an aisle way so he can not breed through the fence). She doesn't show any interest in him ever, and when he acts like a perverted old lech she headbutts the fence and runs off or acts otherwise disinterested or hateful towards him.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its to early to do the pooch test --she would need to be 2 1/2 -3 months along

3. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Hmmm... Well, she just about detests him, so that is what has me worried. I would expect her to come into heat well enough now and then to flirt with him, or at least not try and head butt the fence whenever he wags his tongue at her and paws at the fence.

I've got a two pen set-up and when the weather is nasty I'll put her and Misty in the pen next to him (again, there is a small aisle-way between pens so he can't breed through the fence) and she just detests him. I guess I'll be posting more photos mid- Nov. should she show no heat signs.

I've heard you can do a test where you feel the stomach directly in front of the udders and that within a couple of weeks of being bred the stomach in that area will be firm rather than soft. I can't remember what website I saw this on, but I know it was a Nigerian Dwarf breeder. Has anyone heard of this?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I can feel a difference in doe's bellys at around 6 weeks....directly in front of the udder it will feel like a firm ball in your palm.