The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some input from the experts! I have had a terrible worm problem this year. I have dewormed every couple of weeks since the end of July and nothing has worked so far. I initially did Safeguard for 3 days straight. Then safeguard for 5 days in a row and ivermectin...and once again 10 days later. Then we did a dose of cydectin, followed in 2 weeks by another dose. Took another sample in today (it's been 10 days) and lo and behold...yes, we still have worms (hooks). The vet is now telling me to hit them with cydectin and valbazen at the same time. She said that their "resident goat lady" is telling them that it's the only thing working for her right now. Gosh, this has been SO expensive! On top of wormers, I've spent $30 every couple of weeks on fecals! Is this combo working for other people? I have 2 goats - one is 75 lb and the other is 63 lb. they are 7 months old and 6 months old respectively. Is it ok to dose them both at the 100 lb dose? That's what my vet said to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My little Scooter is suffering the worst. He is so thin. But his coat looks great! Nice, shiny and jet black. Tiny is my 75 lb Saanen. He is pretty normal looking, but no extra "fluff" at all.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
Yes, do what your vet sais...It will be fine.

I have to wonder though if they are seeing Liver Fluke eggs, which are almost identical to hook worm eggs. If so then the Valbazen needs done 3 days in a row.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I'm so sorry! It's been a killer year here with worms too. I deworm herbally, which really helps with resistance, but it's still been a tough year.

·
4,499 Posts
You could always use some herbal wormer or diatomaceous earth along with the meds...I'd use pro bios too...(just what you wanted, more to spend on)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I also vote try herbals with meds. the meds just kill the worms, but herbals can help boost immune system which helps body heal and help keep the worms at bay

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
I agree with Goat hiker...liver fluke eggs look alot like barpole eggs and can easily be mistaken ...only Ivomec Plus and Valbazen kills liver fluke...so Yes..use the Valbazen 1 cc per 10# orally....Ivomec plus is cheaper to use if you have several to treat...at 1 cc per 40# sub Q...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks you guys! I'm headed to the feed store today to pick up dewormer and a few other things. I always give probios for several days after worming. I guess I'll try what the vet says since that seemed to be the consensus from some of our local goat people. I spoke with the vet again and she said it was a goat seminar conference thing that they attended to keep updated on what is going on in the goat world. They are fed in a trough that is raised off the ground. I keep their hay in a feeder up fairly high. They have to reach up to pull hay out. So no feeding on the ground...but they are scarfing down the acorns right now (we have lots falling) and keep their little noses to the ground. Ugh! This has been a hard fought battle, but I'm gonna keep trying! Thank you all again :)

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
It is hard to kep up with..we rake several times a month to keep berries undercontrol...and cleaning sleeping areas and so forth..we scrub feed and water dishes almost daily..its a big job, also building their immune system will make a huge difference..everything we can do to keep the worms under control, we do : ) best wishes

·
Registered
979 Posts
Don't forget to coppoer bolus if you haven't...it helps make an unfriendly envorinment for some / most worms. I topped the sick ones off with a little extra copper this fall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts