Now doesnt that annoy you ...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Nov 29, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    So a few weeks ago when I had the goats on display at the vet ... well I had bottle babies for sale ... a lady liked my bottle kid Dizzy and asked for two more from home, because she has three children, one for each.

I said sure, I can arrange some more, call in a few days to come and pick them up. She said she would pick up Dizzy then as well, so she had time to fix up the fences and also build a little yard for them while they are tiny.

Anyway, we hadnt heard from her until today. She left a message on the machine saying she doesnt want them anymore, her husband said 'the fences arent good enough for goats', which if I translate it, really means her husband just doesnt like goats. Probably grew up a sheep cocky.

The thing is, we took the two extra kids off their mothers and got them on the bottle specifically for her ... they were doing fine on their mums but we needed two more and these were the 3rds from two sets of triplets ... figured it would benefit the mum, the kid and the customer. Now, the mums wont take them back its been too long, and we are stuck with bottle babies. And you all know that that is an expensive exercise, in milk, time and effort. If she hadnt asked, we would have two happy babies on their mums still, much less time and effort and money spent. They are only 3 wks so we are stuck with them for a while.

Aaargh! This has really pissed me right off.

Sorry to lay it on you, just needed to vent.

2. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    That's one of the reasons I stopped raising goats to sale - I got so tired of dealing with people!
    But maybe you can advertise them - there are still people that may want them for Christmas presents and will be the right homes this time. It's a lot easier to sell bottle babies for Christmas too. I always charged an extra $50 for bottle babies.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, you should try to advertise them for sale somewhere as sweet pets. Works pretty well for us. Also, maybe in the future, you require a deposit to take a baby off their momma. We require a deposit for any kid, $50 down, non-refundable. Makes people more serious about their purchase when some of their money is already with you. :)

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Uhhgg, so sorry you got into all that. :hug: People are so annoying sometimes! Like Olivia said, they take a deposit on kids to make sure they'll take them. I like $50 deposits on bottle babies especially because if they back out at least I have a little $$ to keep me happy about the situation and that can pay for the time and money spent on them. The person is way less likely to back out. I definately wouldn't pull any kids unless the person has a deposit on them. It's just WAY to time consuming for me if they decide not to get them. But like the other posters said, I would definately try advertising them. Good luck!

5. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    Thats pretty common.....If they don't leave a deposit or have cash up front.............NO HOLDING! Interest doesn't really mean anything to me. I am polite but nothing is sold until paid for. Over the years have had many people say they wanted "this goat"..............and changed their minds after weaning or putting on a bottle for them. I don't believe it until I see it.............a lot of talk with most people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is down right ....wrong....I am sorry that person did that to those kids....and you guys...
    That is going to be alot work and time ...I feel sorry for ya.....I don't blame you for being P O-ed
    :hair: that would of made me so angry as well.... :angry: ....

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That would make me upset also!!

I refuse to pull babies as bottle babies, unless they are 100% paid up front! That is just me. I leave them with mom for the first 48 hours minimum. Then on Friday, I pull them when I get home from work, get them on the bottle, and they have to pick up by Sunday or they forfiet the money and the kid - has worked out great for me that way!

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks guys, good to know I'm not over-reacting here.

I have advertised them, emphasising that they would make great pets for Christmas :wink:

If I dont get any bites, I might be able to put them on my nurse doe, she has just kidded.

And yeah, we got to thinking yesterday that we should have got a deposit from her ... we sell bottle baby wethers for $50 each and really we havent had a problem ... until now. There's always a first time for everything! :doh:

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome keren....you had every right to react that way.... :hug:
    hopefully you will be able to sell them real quick....
    Next time you'll know to ask for deposit....I would make it non refundable and ask for... 1/2 to full price... :hi5:

10. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Im sorry that happened- that was a mean thing to do to someone- we won't sell a bottle baby, unless it is one we HAD to bottle feed because the doe died or rejected it, or had to many for her to care for...thats boer goats though--

11. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    We bottle feed most of our kids, though I suspect as we get more kids it will happen that we will leave some if there not spaced out enough. You have every right to be madf. I hate flakey buyers that make you go the extra mile, or two then flake. I to require a deposit on a kid in that situation. Some people wont like it, but a serious buyer usually wont mind putting there money were there mouth is. Wish you were near me... i want another bottle baby, my does disappointed me and werent breed when I thought :( Well two of them werent, still new to this though.