The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of ya'll know I'm leaving next week on Tuesday to go to Illinois for 5 days and am leaving my girls for the first time. I am nervous about this but now I think it's in overdrive!
I just treated all my girls for coccidia....confirmed by fecal on 6/7 when a 4 month old doeling started having diarrhea. I started treating everyone with Corid(I know not recommended but it works for me). My older does it was recommended to treat for 3 days(prophylactically)and my younger does for 5 days. I did this and everyone was pooping pellets just fine. A couple days after the 3 day treatment one of my older does started having diarrhea so I thought I'll treat her again but for 5 days. I did this and the treatment ended on 6/19. She has been pooping pellets until this morning when I went out. She's got cow-patty poop again! Actually it's a little more liquidy that cow patty but you get the idea. I also dosed the older does with Cydectin on 6/18 (just to be sure) since I'm leaving. They have also been on Molly's Herbals for the past 4 weeks and they are due for their weekly dose today. I haven't changed anything at all as far as feed and am wondering if the Corid is just not working anymore? Should I have a fecal checked again? I called my vet and he said that he doesn't think it's a parasite problem. I don't know what to do. Any advice is appreciated. And by the way everyone is acting normal....eating/grazing/peeing....just this one doe is having ploppy poop. :confused:
Sorry it's so long!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I have a similar issue with my doe. she was having ploppy poop, and no worms. I couldn't find any meds that I was comfortable using (i'm drinking her milk), so I used herbals that worked nice for me.

double the molly's (I make my own that's similar), and I did regular dose of formula 1 plus formula 2. formula 2 I think has cloves and cinnamon in it which helps with cocci (if it's cocci).

I also used this recipe with success after a few days.
http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f193/holistic-section-101303/index7.html#post971053

my girl started with clumpy poop again today, so I made another batch of that today, added a bit of cayenne. will be giving it to her when I get home, 10cc's. I store mine in the fridge.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have a similar issue with my doe. she was having ploppy poop, and no worms. I couldn't find any meds that I was comfortable using (i'm drinking her milk), so I used herbals that worked nice for me.

double the molly's (I make my own that's similar), and I did regular dose of formula 1 plus formula 2. formula 2 I think has cloves and cinnamon in it which helps with cocci (if it's cocci).

I also used this recipe with success after a few days.
http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f193/holistic-section-101303/index7.html#post971053

my girl started with clumpy poop again today, so I made another batch of that today, added a bit of cayenne. will be giving it to her when I get home, 10cc's. I store mine in the fridge.
So correct me if I'm wrong.....what your saying is give her a dose of the formula 1 and a dose of the formula 2 today? Should I get another fecal or would that be a waste of my money?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
that's what I did...but I don't have actual molly's...I just have what I make, and what I've read cloves and cinnamon help get rid of cocci.

I wanted to do the formula 1 to help get rid of worms, and then used the formula 2 to help with the cocci. I also gave her the cocci soother in the link I sent you.

so morning feeding it would have 1tbsp formula 1, 1 tbsp. formula 2, and 10cc's of the cocci remedy, evening feeding would have same.

i read on the molly's website that she's given up to something like 5x the regular dose without issue.

oh, and i gave her extra garlic cloves (raw), and some vit c.

·
Registered
31,485 Posts
I would do a fecal again...see what youre dealing with...sometimes chemical wormer is needed to get a good kill them herbal to support and keep them at a healthy level...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would do a fecal again...see what youre dealing with...sometimes chemical wormer is needed to get a good kill them herbal to support and keep them at a healthy level...
I just gave a dose of Cydectin on Tuesday......I'm just wondering if the fecal is gonna be worthwhile?

·
Registered
31,485 Posts
even if it has only been a few days, I think it would be worth it...give you a read on how well the cydectin worked...it didnt work well for me...since you are seeing loose stool then there is something going on there...worm load is just one of those reasons...rule it out and then you can search for what else is going on...;)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
even if it has only been a few days, I think it would be worth it...give you a read on how well the cydectin worked...it didnt work well for me...since you are seeing loose stool then there is something going on there...worm load is just one of those reasons...rule it out and then you can search for what else is going on...;)
True......I hope it's still working for me but that is always a possibility...ugh...my stomach is in knots right now:(

·
Registered
31,485 Posts
they will be fine...you are on top of it :D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they will be fine...you are on top of it :D
Thanks.......my vet is gonna think I'm OCD about fecals when I bring him one this afternoon. He told me on the phone he thinks it's a feed issue but I haven't changed ANYTHING regarding their feed in the last 3 months! And I told him that. I have to do it for my peace of mind though and for my does health. I don't want to leave and something happen:worried:

·
Super Moderator
59,775 Posts
I would definitely take another sample in. Personally, I think it is time for a "good" fecal to be done by a state lab or somewhere that does more than a fecal float. I know in Ohio, the state lab does a great job on fecals.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
has it rained recently? that could make their poop clumpy....

i would do the herbals as well, doesn't the animal.... but that's your call.

and you're doing great! don't worry, i was in your boat like 2-3 weeks ago! and my girl made it past!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would definitely take another sample in. Personally, I think it is time for a "good" fecal to be done by a state lab or somewhere that does more than a fecal float. I know in Ohio, the state lab does a great job on fecals.
I didn't even know there was a difference? Dang I don't know if I can even get that going before I leave. I guess what I'll do is take the sample in.....see what they say......then when I get back from my trip see about doing that. Would the vet know where I could have that done?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
has it rained recently? that could make their poop clumpy....

i would do the herbals as well, doesn't the animal.... but that's your call.

and you're doing great! don't worry, i was in your boat like 2-3 weeks ago! and my girl made it past!
No it's been dry all week.......I'm definitely gonna do the herbal today with both formulas and take a fecal in this afternoon. Thank goodness my vet stays open until 7:00pm!!:cool: And I would describe her poop as almost pudding/cow patty......there is nothing formed about it

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
yes, my girl's poop looks like soft pellets that have been mushed together. not great...but it was raining here lots lately, and her poops were fine. we'll see hwo they look during the day. she likes to have normal poops during the day, and then scare me when i see them in the morning.... dang goat!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes, my girl's poop looks like soft pellets that have been mushed together. not great...but it was raining here lots lately, and her poops were fine. we'll see hwo they look during the day. she likes to have normal poops during the day, and then scare me when i see them in the morning.... dang goat!
LOL! It's like they want to keep us guessing.......it's like my girl "knows" I'm going out of town and just can't help it but drive me crazy before I do!

·
Registered
31,485 Posts
maybe cut her grain for 24 hours..see of that helps...she'll be mad at you lol..but its better with her stool being so loose any way...hay water and maybe electrolytes as a treat .....I always have at least one sick or getting better when I have to leave...thank God my kids are in training : )

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
maybe cut her grain for 24 hours..see of that helps...she'll be mad at you lol..but its better with her stool being so loose any way...hay water and maybe electrolytes as a treat .....I always have at least one sick or getting better when I have to leave...thank God my kids are in training : )
LOL! she definitely would be mad but maybe I'll try it......she's in good shape otherwise

·
Registered
31,485 Posts
maybe slip her a WASA cracker lol

1 - 20 of 47 Posts