Now Orion's not gaining weight.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Crissa, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I don't know what it could be with him though, he's eating great, he's been wormed. No scours, his temp is regular, and no signs of what Lyrae had. His fecal was done last week, could cocci come back that quick? We did have that winter snap the other day though, so could it be he used his reserves to keep warm? I'm going to call the vet tomorrow after school and see if I should bring him in. Please pray that he's okay! :pray:

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    You may want to treat him, and then put him on a preventative for a while as the ground could be pretty contaminated.

Give him some extra calories and let us know what the vet says.... :hug:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As Allison said, have another fecal run and do he preventative on ALL of them again.....You can try adding some calf manna to his ration or if you have a Tractor Supply near you they have a great weight builder called Sunshine Plus, made by Blue Seal. I used it and it worked great with Chief.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Its a bad cycle to get in. I went through it, and in the end what I needed to do was shift all the animals out of the pens they were in, I limed the entire pens, and left them off for about a month, then put them back.

Dont know if thats feasible for you, but it worked for me.

5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I might be able to do that. I'll ask the people that I'm boarding them with. :shrug:

6. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I would bleach the whole pen.

7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Here's an idea. What if I put Lyric and Orion in the same pen and bleach the other side while I treat them and then after a while, put them back in that pen and bleach the other and then seperate them again? Do you think that could work?

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It would.....but bleach will not kill coci oocysts. It would be best to clean the entire pen well by sweeping up all the berries and laying down lime. Treat them for cocci though before you do this so you won't have to do it twice.

Put them in one, treat the other and treat them while they are in the "unclean" pen, after the treatment and you get a "clear" fecl, put them in the clean pen.

What are you using for treatment? Albon, Di-Methox or Corid?

9. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Where do I get the lime? I use Corid. (it is safe for Lyric even though she's pregnant right?)

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You can get ag lime at any feed mill......and it will be good to let the pen have full sun if you can, cocci thrive in warm, wet and dark areas.

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yep, that would be perfect. Put them in the 'dirty' pen, clean the other one out completely, then sprinkle lime over the entire pen, into the corners really well, you want a good covering like totally white, not white spotted, if that makes any sense. You can get it at any ag store.

Leave for a little while then swap them over and do the same

:thumb: