The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ug, so the Junior Livestock Show is TOMORROW. Of course, the two goats I am going to show get something wrong with them :mad:

So my doe got a swollen jaw. She is the low goat in the herd, so she probably got smacked in the jaw. Anything I can do to make the swelling go down?

One of her bucklings got an abcess where he got his CDT vaccine. It's presenting itself like CL. Soft in the middle, with hair loss. All of our goats are CL free, and one of the other does had it too but (where she got her CDT shot also) it went away already, and it didn't explode like CL. So it's not that. What can I do to make this go away?!!?!?! :confused:

·
Super Moderator
59,742 Posts
Banamine will help any swelling. The vaccine abscess just has to run its course and you let it go till it opens on its own. You could probably try warm compresses to see if it will come to a head sooner.

·
Registered
31,446 Posts
is your does jaw swollen under it or on the side?? Bottle jaw??

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
If its where you gave the shot that would be my bet. A picture would help.

If its directly under the jaw and really soft and fluidy then its likely bottle jaw which is a sign of anemia and possibly worn load. It comes on in times of stress usually. I forget the actual thing that causes the swelling though.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it's hard and on the side. My mom thinks it might be broken so we are going to take her to the vet. She placed two grand champions and my wether got a reserve champion even though they have those things going on.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Congrats!

Yes definitely go to the vet and let us know what they say

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So my wethers abscess thing popped. Yellow ooze, kinda gross. Vet apt. for Monday.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, no bottle jaw, doesn't look close to that. In fact, the swelling has gone down almost all the way. But while it was there, it was on the upper right jaw, towards the back. Any ideas what it could have been? Should we still take her into the vet? We need to take another doe in for an ultrasound anyways.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Test for the CL. If their negative then it may be a salivary gland or something

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On my doe or the wether? The does swollen thing was NOT presenting itself like CL at all, and the wethers lump had yellow goop, not white chunky stuff like they get with CL.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Both. Its better safe than sorry. I think the jaw area is a common CL place but it can also be salivary gland.

Anytime a goat has an abscess in a Cl area I test. Usually its not but I like the piece of mond

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay. How much does it usually cost for the vet to do it? I know these goats came from a clean herd, and she's at least six. Wouldn't she have shown something by now? I'm not saying you're wrong, just giving some history.

If it is.... We'll probably have to put all our goats down and kill all the plant life off then start over. *sigh*

I guess we'll take her and her bucklings to the vet too, get them tested. Or at least see what the vet thinks?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I'd test just to be safe. Its probably not Cl but its always better safe than sorry. I'm not sure how soon symptoms present or if there is even an age.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,019 Posts
If the wether's abscess is shortly after and in the same location as the CDT shot, I (personally) wouldn't bother getting it tested. It's up to you of course. Wait and get more opinions before you panic. 99.9% it's just a vaccination abscess.
Was the doe's jaw swelling like an abscess or more like an injury? If it was like an abscess, it could be a tooth abscess but I might test to be sure. If it wasn't like an abscess, I would consider other things, such as bottle jaw and injury, before CL.
Just my :2cents:.

To answer your question, cost of CL testing will vary by vet. To save money, you can draw blood and/or take pus samples yourself and send to WADDL.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
If the wether's abscess is shortly after and in the same location as the CDT shot, I (personally) wouldn't bother getting it tested. It's up to you of course.
Was the doe's jaw swelling like an abscess or more like an injury? If it was like an abscess, it could be a tooth abscess but I might test to be sure. If it wasn't like an abscess, I would consider other things, such as bottle jaw and injury, before CL.
Just my :2cents:.

To answer your question, cost of CL testing will vary by vet. To save money, you can take a sample yourself and send it to WADDL with an ice pack.
Very true! I had 1 with a cdt abscess- didn't test. And I had one.with a splinter, most came out and 2 days later it abscessed. Didn't test. When.I don't know what they are I always test.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, it abcessed a couple days after the CDT shot. The thing on my does cheek felt like bone, so who knows what it is.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Oh ok, if it was the same place as cdt then don't worry about it. Check the one with thing on its cheek on the inside of.the mouth. Hay pieces can get stuck and cause abscesses, teeth can abscess... alot of things

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright, I'll see if she will allow me to look. The swelling is almost gone, so not sure if I should be too worried about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts