Now Sugar is Sick

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Sep 8, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Poor girl! I noticed last night her hair was all poofed up, but thought it was just because it was a little cool out. Today I put her out in the grass paddock and she still looked a bit off to me. I took her temp and it was 106. :shocked: She was still eating grain and drinking milk. Just seemed a little slower than everyone else. I gave her some banamine and biomycin. Oh she's a Nigerian Dwarf and her dob is 6/1/08.

Please let this be nothing! These goats have me on edge lately.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh you poor thing :hug: sounds like you did the right thing. The change in temps could be causing a bought with pneumonia

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Good that you noticed and got her started on the antibiotic....most of the time when theres a fever , theres an infection brewing somewhere....Hope she starts to be herself soon. :hug:

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    It's good that you cought her acting off no rather than later. :grouphug: You seem to have done the right thing.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks.. I guess I am just wicked nervous after what I went through with Dawn.

She was still eating hay, grain and milk tonight. Still not her normal self. No jumping in the air like a crazy thing like she usually does. I know I shouldn't worry so much. I guess I just need some reassurance.

Oh I also gave her some Nutri-drench, probios. I also gave vetrx since she has had a cough since the last show I went to. I think I got more nutri-drench into Maxinne and Nice than I did sugar. They kept trying to steal it out of the syringe. Little brats. Oh and of course Sugar didn't want anything to do with it. :roll:

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    This is probably going to sound silly, but what is vetrx? Some of my goats have a cough sometimes and I really hate it. . . . would this help?

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
  8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hope she starts feeling better soon, sounds like you caught whatever it may be early enough.

9. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Get better wishes for Sugar :hug: and :grouphug: for you & stress/concern.

10. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Hopefully you caught her early and she's on the mend. Goats can be such stressors- I can't remember ever trying so hard with the horses.

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    She does seem to be doing better today. Still a little poofy looking at times. But the weather has been so crazy here. Still not jumping around like normal, but she did do some head butting. Her temp was normal. She is still eating and drinking fine.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, good thing you are on top of things. Hope she is all better very soon.