Now taking bets!

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Korita, Jan 11, 2018 at 4:33 PM.

1. Korita

Korita New Member

Thursday
    Iowa
    This will be my first time having kids. I think all 3 of my girls are bred (to our Oberhasli). The vet is coming for an ultrasound tomorrow (because my fiancé loves me - that or just tired of my worrying lol) but I’m curious what y’all experienced goat owners think.

Background: I think they bred between August-September. We never separated buck so don’t have a sure date. We will be doing that from now on to eliminate my worries lol

Nelli-mostly black and white without horns has kidded at least once (her twins are my other 2 girls). Don’t know her age or if she kidded before them. We got her and her twins when the kids were about a week old or so. Has a little bag going but hers never really disappeared after the girls were done nursing. Is starting to hollow out and has been stretching her back out a few times today when I check on them- I’ve never seen her do that before. Always a little bit of a belly through the summer but she’s definitely bigger and more prominent than before.

Lucy- black with horns. First timer. Don’t think she’s got a bag going yet but her teats have grown. And I feel like her vulva is a bit poofier than before. Had a slender girlish figure before.

Ethel- Black and white spotted with horns. First timer. No Udder yet. Teats a little bigger but not much. Pretty sure I can feel kids kicking on her lower right side. (I’ve had 3 of my own so I feel like I know the difference between kicks and gas but then again, I’m new at this pregnant goat thing lol) Also had a slender girlish figure before.

I don’t think I know what I’m doing when trying to check ligaments sooooooo I’m not helping myself there ;)

So what do you all think? Pregnant/not? Twins? Due dates?

Also, if you’ve ultrasoumded your girls before.... was it pretty accurate on due dates/number of kids/etc?

Attached Files:

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    Good luck :)

It sounds like their udders still have a ways to go. But it can really vary.

I've gotten an ultrasound done once, and it was pretty accurate. The vet said she would kid twins or more in 1-2 months, and she kidded twins 2 months later.

3. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    My bet is all bred. Twins for all three, possibly triplets with Ethel (biased here because my goat named Ethel ALWAYS has triplets, lol).

Possibly mid February? That's a complete wild shot guess, without some back end and udder pictures.

4. Korita

Korita New Member

Thursday
    Iowa
    I thought the same thing about the udders but have read about people having girls (especially FF) that don’t really bag up until within hours of kidding and sometimes even after. So I’m confused lol

I’m hoping the vet can give me a closer due date estimate. I’m currently going on the between now and a month or 2 due date right now and it’s killing me not knowing o_O But it will nice to have an idea of how many to expect too!

5. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    I am guessing twins for Nelli and Ethel, a single for Lucy.
    Do you have pictures of their back ends?

Two years ago, our vet ran an Ultrasound on two of our goats, confirming them both bred with twins. Four months later, they each had twins.
    Last September we had four does get an Ultrasound. Two were confirmed bred with a single each, in the third all they saw was fluid, but thought she was bred (which, turns out, she is), and in the fourth one they didn't see anything (although she turned out to be pregnant and is due among the others, in 6 days).
    Our vet had a hard time determining pregnancy with the last four does because they were only 33-34 days post breeding. If your girls are further along it may be easier to tell the number of kids.

Korita likes this.
  6. Korita

Korita New Member

Thursday
    Iowa
    Thanks for the response! First of all I have to say I love your picture it’s so funny!

I think trips would be awesome but yet I almost hope not since I’m new at this and I know it can be a little harder with triplets sometimes. I pray all goes well and there’s all healthy happy kids and mommas. I would hate to have a death our first time kidding and would blame myself regardless of what happened. Fingers crossed!

First picture is Nelli’s bag. It’s grown a bit just in the last day that I noticed. I could always see her big teats from just glancing behind but didn’t see an udder unless looking for it until today.

Second picture is Lucy’s back end 2 days ago. Ethel doesn’t like me to look, much less get a picture lol

Attached Files:

Goat_Scout likes this.
  7. Korita

Korita New Member

Thursday
    Iowa
    Pictures...
    Nelli’s back top view. Standing in snow from Monday vs today (pic with feed on her back thanks to Ethel lol)

Lucy’s rear (darker skin one)

Nelli’s rear (white fur fanned out)

Ethel’s rear (tail sticking straight up)

Attached Files:

8. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    They all look bred to me.

Korita likes this.
  9. Korita

Korita New Member

Thursday
    Iowa
    Soooooo my fiancé wrote down Friday for the vet to come. Apparently it’s NEXT Friday. :( I love that man but dang it! I had my hopes up that I would know for sure today. How am I supposed to wait another whole week?!?!? UGH Maybe the girls will change suddenly and have kids by then lol

On another note, Ethel has been doing this weird tale flick thing today. Like her tail is almost bent in half and looks crooked and she has it up then it flicks down and up quick, pause, flick flick, pause, flick..... What’s that about? I felt the kids kick more last night too. :)

Nelli is still stretching a bit and yawning.

10. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    Sounds like they aren't too terribly far off. :)

Korita likes this.
  11. Korita

Korita New Member

Thursday
    Iowa
    Here are a couple screen shots of the video I took of some of her weird tail flicking. I can’t upload a video for some reason. Why is she doing this? I’ve never seen the girls flick their tails like this or have their tails look bent in half like that either.

Attached Files:

12. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    It's normal during late pregnancy.

Korita likes this.
  13. Korita

Korita New Member

Thursday
    Iowa
    All 3 girls have started to hollow out in the a bit now but Nelli (in the pictures) has really hollowed out in the last day or two. Does his mean she’ll be going into labor soon or do the kids drop pretty early before kidding? She was also the one stretching her back and yawning quite a bit 2 days ago.

Attached Files:

14. Korita

Korita New Member

Thursday
    Iowa
    Our oldest niece spent the night last night so I had 2 adorable little helpers for goat chores this morning. Our 2 year old son and 3 year old niece.

I told the girls no babies today because we will be over an hour away ice fishing this afternoon. We shall see if they listen.

Attached Files:

wifeof1, Goat_Scout and ksalvagno like this.
  15. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    Not necessarily. I've honestly never really understood the whole stomach dropping deal. I'm sure it works in most cases, but my does are totally random with what their stomachs look like at any given moment.

Korita likes this.