The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that goats are always looking for new and exciting ways to kill themselves but the drama is fairly quiet for now. Our doe that freshened Monday and buckling are finally working together and everyone is settled in with the new kid. So here is what i am wondering about now. The buckling (now known as Stinky Pete) is only nursing one side of the doe. Should I milk the other side when I do my milking chores? I intend to separate them at night and milk her in the mornings at two weeks post freshening, so I do not want that side to dry up. Thanks

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yes I would milk the other side.....he should eventually learn that the other side works too! :D

He's very cute by the way!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Here is a picture of Stinky Pete when he was about a half hour old. He is dark brown and black with lots of moon spots and huge long ears. We could only be more happy with him if he were a doe!
Haha every time we have cute babies like ones that have spots they end up being boys! My dad wants boys and I want girls to keep! Haha

·
Registered
718 Posts
I milked my girls out when they became lopsided due to the kids not nursing both sides evenly. That was 3 days post freshening. The babies nursed MUCH more evenly after that, though I was still able to steal a little milk each day for myself, even without separating.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!! I will have to post more pictures of him. He is our first Nubian baby born here- and only our second goat to kid since we have gotten goats. We had to put down our sons' pet wether last week so they are really loving Stinky Pete. He may be around here for a very long time. It is so much easier to buy goat feed than it is to break two little boys hearts again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts