Now this is cold!!!!

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by jaymerose, Jan 29, 2008.

1. jaymerose

jaymerose New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    Yesterday was a really nice day, cloudy but it was 46 degrees. The snow was melting and there was a smell of spring in the air.

Well today it is 6 below with 25mph NW winds. I went out on my lunch break to check on everyone and feed the steers. I noticed 3 of my ducks were out laying by the fence, which did'nt seem odd. Then the dog walked over by them and they did'nt move. I walked over and the poor ducks were froze to the ground. :shocked: I have never seen anything like it. I ran to the house and filled jugs of hot water and had to keep dumping hot water around them to get them unstuck. I called my hubby at work and told him and he could not stop laughing, it is funny now that I got them unstuck but it wasn't at the time. Then of course the fountain was froze too. So unfortunately I didn't even get to eat lunch :roll:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh you poor thing!

Glad you did check on everyone before the ducks died out there.

3. jaymerose

jaymerose New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    I think they would have been ok, as only their feathers were froze down.
    They were laying where there was water from the melting snow yesterday. I was just really amazed that they would freeze to the ground like that. I really did'nt think much of it when I let the dog out earlier in the day, because most of them were laying there and that is a normal place for them to be.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Julia,
    I know what you mean. This weekend was beautiful. Today it is 12 degrees, and the wind is out of control. They say snow tonight. All this because I have a doe ready any time.

5. jaymerose

jaymerose New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    We have been having some weird weather this month. I will be happy when spring arrives and I don't have to worry about it being so cold for the animals.

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I agree Julia! It was almost 70 here today and it is 28 now and it is 10:30 pm right now! My girls were shivering!

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Brr i don;t envy you guys at all. Though am sorry its been sooo cold. We got our first and probably only real snow the other night but it was only an inch. We usually have more problems with ice around here. Wet rods freeze. Even with studded tires i slid a little through the instersection at the bottem of my hill. But it seems to be on the uphil swing now. Just rain which my girls hate even more!
    Happy kidding season and heres to you guys who loved through those frigid temps. I will be happy when spring rolls around thats for sure!
    beth