now what-tail covered with bumps and scabs

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by enjoytheride, Dec 27, 2007.

1. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Second vet call about Dottie was yesterday- today he called to say her monocyte white blood cell count is twice what it should be meaning she has an infection that is long standing (proabably.) He was vague as to what, and as to why she is so poochy - he said wait for the results of the lut and report if she has a discharge. Then he thought if nothing came of that that I could either do a chem panel to see what it said or just put her on antibiotics.
    I really wish I had some idea of what is going on- she is still eating but is not too enthusiastic. Her temp yesterday was 102 -today 103.
    He said it could be an internal abcess (CL) but I can't see that because I just did a blood test for cae and cl 4 mos ago and it was negative.
    Any thoughts before I go back and spend more at the vet- I now at $369. I do not feel that this is going well. She has not had any diarrhea or discharge or anything but the temp spike on Monday and the not eating on Saturday and Sunday along with the grunting and teeth grinding on Saturday night.

Below are her pooch picts-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am not sure as to what is going on - but I sure hope that you find out without having to spend much more money.

Sometimes, CL tests can come back negative, but a borderline negative.

Also maybe a pyometra? Has he done a vaginal swab? Might be a good idea to do an abdominal x-ray.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    See I don't think she's that poochy, but I can't say for sure since I haven't seen her pooch from 5 months ago :?

With CL there are a lot of false negative tests, from what I've read, the most accurate test is to test the abscess, but obviously you can't do that.

Hopefully you figure out what is wrong with her.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

to me she looks bred. when would she be due if she were? Have you guys done a fecal test? I wouldn't lut her at all. Depending on when she could be do it would do more harm then good. You may want to run a blood pregnancy test on her. Only about $8 through biotracking.
    The white bloodcell high count is definatly an infection issue. I would put her on penicillian for at least ten days. If you don't think there is a possibilty of her being bred LA 200 is a higher powered antibiotic. Its mainly used for respiritory infections but it kills a lot more then that if you read the indications. I have used it for a lot of things from hoof rot to antibiotics for open infected cuts.
    I havn't heard of many false negatives for CL, but i don't know much about the internal abcess form. I have only delt with the visable abcess'. You may wantt o run another Cl test to get a second reading.
    I hope she gets better.
    beth

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    She was last with the buckling on 7/23 and she had an ultrasound on Monday. Actually the dexamethasone (?) took the pooch down some but it's still swollen. And the lut was done by the vet yesterday. He ligaments loosened but never went totally loose- she never bagged. Her back legs straightened- she really builged out the rear then it went back. I think because the vet did not see it, he doesn't believe me. He may be right that it is unrelated but it's a heck of a coincidence if so.
    A swab seems like a really good idea. I asked him if her could exam inside but he said that you would have to sedate her and then you couldn't seem much anyway. I 'll ask about a culture. I also asked about flushing her with antibiotics- he said you couldn't get it in.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    enjoy -

We do the ultrasounds on my goats vaginally with a REAL long probe, and have no problem with them as long as they were in a stand with grain. They did not fight it at all. I am not sure why he would need to sedate.

I would call around to the equine vets and see if one has a portable x-ray machine, and have them snap an abdominal and make sure that it is not pyometra - infection of the uterus.

Just a thought.

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Unfortunately these two guys are it for vets (they are the horse vets too- and cow, lama,sheep, etc)- they have a clinic in two different neighboring towns but their equipment is old. And their interest in goats nil.
    It is a universal problem here that our vets (one of whom is a pleasant guy) just don't try to figure things out- one lady told me that they are just a first aide station- if something happens you go to Davis- but it's snowing here and Davis is 6 hours away. I'm not even sure I could get the trailer down the mountain. Much less through the other mountain passes to get into the valley.
    But I will ask about the things mentioned here- why they are so resistant to trying everything is a mystery but trying to get them to pay attention is hard- I'm alsways so unsure whether they are right or not.
    Thanks for all the ideas- I will push for something tomorrow. that culturing seems like a very reasonable thing.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I hope that you are able to find something out.

I am going to my vet today with one of my goats, and I will ask her what she thinks a good next step would be for you!

I will let you know.

9. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
  10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    No problem. My appointment is in 3.5 hours.

I will PM you my cell phone number if you would like to call me and give me all the details so that I have all the info for her.

11. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    PM'd with the details- take care driving in the snow- I hate taking my trailer in it.

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am now back!!! It was not the funnest trip but we made it! I put her in a kennel in the back of my jeep so that I did not have to take a trailer.

Is what the doc said was the same thing that I thought - a pyometra - Infection inside the uterus. She reccommended a swab and said that the reason that the other doc probobly talked about sedation, is that is what you have to do with horses, but goats you do not.

She also mentioned maybe a false pregnancy but NO LUT!!! She said that she has used it twice in over 15 years of practice and she never reccommends it.

She said to be sure that you know that she does not know for sure, as she hasn't seen the animal, but she definately agreed on the vaginal swab.

Hope this helps

Allison

13. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Thank you for asking for me- unfortunately the lut was done on Wed.
    There is another set of vets who usually do dairy cows only in a townabout an hour away. I might try calling them to see if they will look at her. I have never talked to anyone who has seen them but I haven't heard anything bad- which in a small community is good.

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Keep us all posted on what you find!!!

15. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    She has been on naxel since Saturday. Yesterday I went to give her her shot and I noticed that the swelling in her rear was down for the first time- she actually had wrinkles back. I thought that the antibiotic was doing something good,
    Well today I went to take a picture to show the vet later- When I lifted her tail, it was covered with small bumps and some scabs-
    [​IMG]

Now whatt does this mean? Vets are closed today and tomorrow.

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Could she have a yeast infection or been exposed to any type of venereal disease when she was bred?

I really do think that you need to have the culture done on her as soon as they open back up,

Are the bumps oozing or have any discharge from them? Are they growing? I would seperate her till you find out what the heck is going on. Just my opinion though.

17. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Stacey went through bumps on the back of a wether if she reads this. And there was a big discussion on GW about her case and another case. I can't remember the details, but maybe she will. Tea tree oil was one of the recommendations I believe.

18. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    They seem to go straight to crusty from bump but they just appeared today.
    She has only been bred by a buckling 4 1/2 mos old born here. She has only been off my place once and never left my trailer.
    My other girl Timber was off at breeders for the month of October -otherwise she's only been here too. She's shown no problem. But she could have proght soemthing here that she is already immune to.

Whatever is going on she seems more comfortable even with the bumps than she was before I started the naxel. She complained a lot when I walked away this morning without feeding her.

19. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Arghghghg! The bumps are now all over her stomach

[​IMG]

20. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Did the bumps show up after you started giving the naxcel?

I am allergic to certain things and if I come into contact with those things I break out in hives similar looking to what Dottie has. Could it possibly be a reaction?

Trying spraying diluted ACV on it and see if it does anything. Also, if you can find some calendula ointment, at like a health food store, if you put that on it should help quite a bit. Olive oil might help to hydrate the area also if its dry.