Now Xcell is sick!(BETTER!)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Mar 6, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    She isn't eating anything. Tried treats, every grain in the barn, hay. She just turns her nose up at everything! Keep in mind this is the most food motivated goat I have. She had a temp of 102 and took it again 30 mins later it was 104.5. I can't hear an rumen movements at all. She has diarrhea so I gave her 3cc of pepto and some baking soda but that doesn't seem to have helped at all. She is just standing around looking unhappy. She still shows interest in her kids but I can tell she isn't feeling good. I did up her grain a bit the other day but I didn't think it was enough to cause her to get sick.! I have a call into the vet and am waiting for them to get back to me.

I know she drank a good amount of water the other night but I haven't seen her drink anything since this afternoon. I tried regular water, electrolyte water and molasses. She wont take anything. Her stomach doesn't look big so I don't think its bloat....

She isn't grinding her teeth so thats good. Can't think of anything else to tell you right now.

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Re: Now Xcell is sick!

I'm stumped???? :?

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

She did make a better poo before I left but I am still waiting for the vet to come out. Her temp is 104 now. I only heard one gut sound and then silence.... I know in horses that is bad. I keep trying to give her treats and stuff but she wont even give them a second glance. :(

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca

Enterotoxemia? Ruman slow is not good- do you have anti-toxin? Could she have over eaten? Does she show any neurological signs- head turning, unfocused eyes?

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Its possible since I did give her more grain than usual, but I didn't think it was that much. I do have the anti-toxin so I will take it to the barn with me and see if the vet thinks I should give it. She isn't turning her head but she does kinda stare off into space.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I am still waiting on the vet. I just called them for the third time to make sure someone is coming. I have been waiting 5 hours now.... :roll:

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN

5 hours!Sometimes people make me angry :angry: .Was this an appointment or just a thing where the vet office goes he'll get there when he/she can.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

No this was an emergency call, so its he gets there when he can. I was told that there were other emergencies in front of me at 4pm. It's now 7:30pm here. Now the actual vet is supposed to call me since it's after hours.

I wouldn't be so worried if she didn't have kids on her.

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN

When there is an emergency with the goats and the vet can't be there in a short time he sends his wife.(They raise goats.LOL)

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Ok so he came! Gave her banamine and some antibiotic that should last about 3 days. He also took some blood and a stool sample. She seemed to be feeling better just a few minutes after the banamine and she started eating some hay!

Xcell was really feeling bad. She just laid there when the vet walked in the stall. I had to pick her up! He was like, "She is definitely not feeling good!" She laid down most of the time we were talking after he had examined her. :shocked: So not Xcell! She is the shyest goat I have. She usually runs from people she doesn't know, and me if she knows I want to get a hold of her.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I would give the CD antitoxin as it won't hurt her if she doesn't need it but it maybe what she needs.

what does the vet think it is

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

He's not sure what it is but he thinks it might be a uterine infection. He is going to see what the blood work shows.

13. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca

What was her temperature when the vet was there?

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

103.9 which was up from 103 when I last took it. I asked him about Enterotoxemia but he didn't think that was it.

15. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca

My vet had told me that a sudden spike in temp is a common sign of clostridium infection so I was just wondering.

16. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Hmm.. Well I will see how she is in the morning and go from there. Thanks for the info.

I hope she is back to normal and begging for treats!

17. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA

If she was my baby, I'd give her the anti-toxin just in case. Because I'm a paranoid goatmom.

18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I am hesitant to do it because when I gave one of her babies tetanus anti-toxin he had a huge reaction to it. So I am afraid that she will have a reaction to it. I do have epi on hand but I don't want to complicate things for Xcell and the vet.

19. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

Hmm and I wonder if it would get to the kid through the milk?? I hope Xcell is doing better in the morning. Keep us updated.

20. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

sounds like she may be low on calcium. If you have any tums that might help her. It will also help settle her tummy and firm up her poop.
    beth