Nubi here...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by beefy, Aug 3, 2009.

1. beefy

beefy New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Georgia
    pardon the pun, i couldnt resist.

anyhoo, i decided to start my own goatery and i just got my first goats weekend before last! two young does. they are my test goats. but i can already tell i will be getting more, i almost bought two more this weekend. i realize that i may have animal collector tendencies but for now its under control?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i'm guesstimating my girls at 5-7 months.
    i like boers and nubians the best. i want a spotted nubian.
    saanens and toggenburgs are cool too.

my girls like ritz crackers and sandwiches. they dislike azalea bushes (learned the hard way) and one of them has a fascination with hogwire fencing. all in all some pretty swell goooats.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hi from alaska!

nice does, look like theyre going to need some feed to get some more weight on them, but it looks like they have a good home!

3. cypressfarms

cypressfarms Guest

Aug 2, 2009
    Hey Beefy,

Those girls seem familiar...

4. beefy

beefy New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Georgia
    they have already fattened up some. i went ahead and dewormed them. the blonde was coughing occasionally. she had poor nutrition..her horns were flakey. and she found some minerals and was all about those so hopefully she is getting more of what she needs now. i also got them a bag of goat chow.

5. beefy

beefy New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Georgia
    hello Cypress. i see your middle number is 7 as well.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thats good, great job! they could use 50lbs..what are those stickers on them?

7. beefy

beefy New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Georgia
    i had just bought them and hadnt removed the stickers yet. they probably weigh about 45-50 lbs.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    :wave: Hi Beefy!

AB the stickers are from the sale barn, method of identification

9. cypressfarms

cypressfarms Guest

Aug 2, 2009

Yeah, but I don't even know what a middle number is...

Beefy, you gonna go with the traditional peanuts in a bottle coke, or something more goat oriented?

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    those are pretty girls - look mostly boer to me

As to the "middle number" its a spam filter that you have to do when signing up.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    cypressfarm I am not sure i follow your line of posting????

beefy - you did well by getting them a mineral, goat feed and worming them. Sounds like you are on the right track.

I take it they got sick from the azealas?? I certainly hope they dont try that again, very poisonous to the goats. :worried:

12. cypressfarms

cypressfarms Guest

Aug 2, 2009
    Sorry Stacey, Beefy and I are transplants from the Cattle Today forum, and I was referring to his avatar on the CT board. No malice intended; we're both just good 'ol southern boys.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oh I see - was just a tad confused. Got it

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome ...welcome to the goat spot..... :wave:

nice girls there.....they look high percentage boer to FB boer ..... :wink:

You are doing great with them.....

I would recommend also to give them CD&T vaccine and again 21 to 28 days later.... :greengrin:

Make sure you get loose salts and minerals as well....

15. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Welcome! :wave:
    I am sure they'll be fattened up in no time! ;)

16. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Hello Beefy! Welcome to TGS - the people are great here.

17. Welcome!

Looks like you have some good info here. Glad you are with us.

Can't wait to see what you do with these lil ones. It is always nice to see the changed people can do with some TLC.

18. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Hi Beefy you have a couple of real nice does there! Glad you got them wormed and they will be getting their CDT soon?
    Good for you some new folks dont think about minerals. Just make sure its for goats NOT goats & sheep.
    Now at their age it is very common to have flakey horns so dont you be worried about that.
    Mine have had all the minerals they want & horns are still flakey on the 5mo olds.
    Now Im gonna suggest to you to nail some 2x4s across that fence so they dont bow it out more than it is. Maybe put them about a third of the way up. :wink:

19. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Welcome to TGS from AL (have no clue how I missed this post!) :wave: What state are you from?

Very nice looking animals! I started out with Boers myself :wink: You are already doing good here.... we LOVE pics! :love:

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hey Beefy, I too have no idea how I missed this.

Glad you are here with us. :wave: Yes those are going to be real nice looking goats. Are you planning on having them as pets, breeding or freezer camp?

I hope you have them away from the Azaleas now. As Stacey said, they are VERY toxic to goat.