The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 mo old Nubian wether that was dehorned as a kid, BUT he has 4 horns. The two that were burned are just buds, but in front of them are 2 more horns! He somehow knocked one off that was about 1" long. It bled a small amount and it was fine, he has had all his shots and I cleaned it with antibiotic and the bleeding stopped. My question is the "other" extra horn is about 2 1/2 " long and seems to be loose. It is much bigger and I am afraid he will knock it off and it will bleed much more then the first one. Is there some way (surgical?) to remove this 4th horn. Thanks in advance
Billie in Co

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
If it's loose and thin and doesn't seem to have a blood supply you can take a pair of bolt cutters and start trimiining it back about a 1/4 inch at a time and see if you can get it down that way.

A lot of times that's all you need to do and if you keep up on it the horn growth slows when they are adults.

You can also file it away if you are worried about the blood supply. A friend of mine starts her babies like this and they end up with very blunt horns as adults.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The "horns" you are referring to are known as scurs. They are the remnants of a dehorning that was not done properly, leaving the areas of the outer horn wall growing without the central core. Generally they are loose because they don't have a bone in the center. They will get knocked off on a fairly regular basis when the goat butts heads or rubs its head on trees and such. There will be some bleeding but nothing serious. If they are bigger you can trim them like Carolyn mentioned above. The vet may be able to cauterize the growth area to keep them from growing back but its been our experience that after they get knocked off a few times they tend to heal over and often don't grow back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts